PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 75 or Stanley 90

George Farra
02-15-2011, 3:08 PM
Hi Everyone

I've been searching around for a used Stanley 75 bullnose and happened to stumble up the Stanley 90 which looks like an adjustable version of the 75. Also the 90 looks like it maybe more comfortable in the hands

Which years should I look for on either a 75 or 90? Is there anything quirky about either that would make you stay away?

TIA

George

Paul Incognito
02-15-2011, 3:23 PM
I've never used the 90, but I have a 75. For me, the 75 is pretty uncomfortable to use and difficult to adjust. I like the looks of the 90 better, looks more comfortable.
My 2 cents.
Paul

Jim Koepke
02-15-2011, 3:54 PM
I have used both and the #90 is a much kinder to the hands and mind kind of tool.

I am not sure if I even still own a #75. I had a few of them. They may have all been sold off in the past.

Both are difficult to register on the work with their bull nose. The bigger shoulder planes are much more useable in more situations.

Did you have a special use for a bull nose rabbet?

jtk

Tony Zaffuto
02-15-2011, 4:20 PM
As Jim has said, do you have a special need for the bull nose? I have a couple of 75's and one 90 and none are used (well, yeah, maybe once a year for the 90). Look for a Stanley 92 or 93, or go new to a Lee Valley. LV has a variety of shoulder planes including a bull nose.

George Farra
02-15-2011, 10:35 PM
I was thinking of using it to clean up tenons and dados, but it sounds like a shoulder plane is the better choice here. How do you guys feel about buying used? Or is this something that requires precision and I'm better off saving up some and getting a LV or LN?

Rob Young
02-15-2011, 11:06 PM
I was thinking of using it to clean up tenons and dados, but it sounds like a shoulder plane is the better choice here. How do you guys feel about buying used? Or is this something that requires precision and I'm better off saving up some and getting a LV or LN?

Cleaning up a tenon requires precision. :)

A used woodie rabbet would be fine but you may find that it is a bit worn. I've got a skew rabbet that was so worn (but cheap and the blade is in good shape) that I just planed down the sole and glued on a new sole. Then shaped it true to the sides, squared the bottom and sawed a new mouth. So far it seems to be working fine. Of course, it isn't original or collectible anymore. But I'd rather see a tool used than put under glass.

And one more thought, both operations (except for squaring the shoulder of a tenon) you are considering can also be done with a router plane (old woman's tooth). Perhaps you might want to look into that too. A used Stanley 71 or 71-1/2 isn't terribly expensive and you can get replacement blades.

Jim Koepke
02-16-2011, 2:57 AM

Here is my take on Stanley shoulder planes.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=119301

I have no idea how their new offerings are out of the box.

In my opinion, if you want something that is hassle free, then one of he LV or LN shoulder planes is probably worth every penny.

My Stanley 93 gives good results, but I have handled the others and they are much better.

jtk

Tony Zaffuto
02-16-2011, 6:20 AM
To add to my earlier post, I've got lots of planes, both vintage and modern. Of modern shoulder planes, I have the large LN, medium LV, Stanley 90 and a small Preston (which the small Record and later, small Clifton, were patterned after). The small Preston is 5/8" wide and just feels wonderful. Before I got it, the medium LV feels just as good and works just as nice. But the one I use more than any is the large LN.

I also have several woodies, but prefer the modern planes.

John Powers
02-16-2011, 6:35 AM
No comparison. The 90 is a much finer tool. I gave the 75 away. Why they made the 75 is a mystery......scraping glue lines?

Bill Houghton
02-16-2011, 3:55 PM
No comparison. The 90 is a much finer tool. I gave the 75 away. Why they made the 75 is a mystery......scraping glue lines?

I understand the 75 is popular among house painters. I use mine for planing off paint glops on windowsills and the like - so I guess it's a paint plane.

I added a palm rest behind the iron - just a chunk of hardwood shaped to fit, so that the top of the iron doesn't cut into my palm. Still a sub-mediocre tool.

Jorge Rico
02-17-2011, 2:25 PM
The 75 is small and harder to grasp than a 90 or a legitimate shoulder plane. My 75 has not been used for years.