PDA

View Full Version : Staircase Project

Leo Burs
02-15-2011, 2:19 PM
I need to build 90 degrees curved oak stairs as shown in the attached picture. Looking for recommendations on how to approach this project, and possibly for somebody to take on the project in the Boston area. Any advice is much appreciated.
Thank you,
Leo

David Larsen
02-15-2011, 2:45 PM
Is this rebuilding something that was already there or something new?

You do want to make sure you have enought room to put this in. Your rise appears to be around 10 feet. That is 120 inches. That means about 17 steps or so. How long is the horizontal measurements? You need to have enough room to fit the stairs in. Probably around 14 feet or so for the run.

Bill Edwards(2)
02-15-2011, 2:57 PM
If you have to have a curve... good luck.

But if you'd build to the corner, you wouldn't lose walking space.

Leo Burs
02-15-2011, 3:16 PM
Sorry for not providing enough info. The rough is already in, I am looking for finishing work.

Richard Wolf
02-15-2011, 8:38 PM
Any curved stringers should be made from laminations. But, I'm not sure how accurate your sketch is, but there are some design issues that should be addressed if it's not to late. You don't say how much stair experience you have, but a curved staircase is not the place to start.

Leo Burs
02-15-2011, 9:03 PM
Richard - my experience is limited to reading your excellent posts on this subject. I am not looking for building the stairs myself; I just want to understand the process and figure out where to get finishing parts and/or local help to install. We passed the framing inspection, so I believe the basic sizing should be OK.

Richard Wolf
02-15-2011, 9:26 PM
Well Leo, the three curved treads should all be the same, they don't look that way in the picture. It also is difficult to see, but it looks like your staircase is as wide as the well opening in the second floor which will make hand railing difficult. I'm also not sure, but the width of each of the winders at the rail line should be the same as the width of all the other steps or your railing will have to change pitch. If you have a business account, you can purchase stair parts from Ideal Stair Parts, in Little Falls, NY.

Leo Burs
02-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Richard - I attached two pics, side view and top view of the curve. Do they look right to you?
Thanks!
Leo

Richard Wolf
02-17-2011, 5:11 PM
Pictures always make it easier. So there is no issue with the well opening, that's fine. The curved treads also look equal in size, so that's fine. The issue you will have is that the curved treads are not the same size at the rail line as your straight treads, your rail man will have his hands full, here's why. The rail comes down the top straight section at about 41 degrees, when it gets to the curve, it will change to about 60 degrees and when it exits the curve it will return to 41 degrees. The argument the framing carpenter will give you is that, at the walk line, the pitch does not change, so it fells more comfortable. Building code is, that the pitch of the stairs can change, but the rise of each step can not change.

I would like to see some pictures when the rail man is done.

You really need to make sure your finish carpenter makes curved stringers on the inside and outside of the stairs. Often in a situation like yours, with the rock already installed, is to just install risers and treads and let the sheet rock act as stringers.

If you need help, just ask.