PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable Brad Nailer Problem - Anyone ever have this happen?

Glen Blanchard
02-15-2011, 11:49 AM
I have a Porter Cable 18 gauge brad nailer that is maybe 10 years old or so. There is a directional port on it that allows one to exhaust the air in the direction desired. The other day I noticed that I am now getting a continuous slow stream of air out of that port. My guess is that there is some type of diaphragm in there. Actually, sometimes it stops completely after I place a brad, but will return upon the placement of another. It still functions fine, but it forces the compressor to kick in much more often than in the past.

Anyone have a similar experience, or know what likely needs to be done? I am in the middle of a project right now that requires its use and the local service center would want it for a day or two, so I would prefer to order the replacement part and do the repair myself (assuming its simple).

Doug Colombo
02-15-2011, 8:57 PM
Sounds like the seal to me. I did a search and found this:
http://www.fixya.com/support/t5807113-porter_cable_18_gauge_nail_gun_think
I think that the seal / rebuild kits are available at most PC service centers. Good luck.

hank dekeyser
02-15-2011, 11:50 PM
Time to rebuild - download the parts diagram from one of the many online parts centers. Then decide if you want to tackle it or tak eit in. You may want to just get a "new to you" one - heck they're plenty cheap enough when you look around.. C'mon - open it up and see whats in there already. check the driver pin while its apart. Sometimes the triggers go bad too. pull it apart and clean it, then see if it still needs a kit. Take it all the way apart - dont be lazy and go half way- or you'll just be rebuilding it again