PDA

View Full Version : Templates for awards

Annette Plamondon
02-15-2011, 11:27 AM
I was curious if there was templates available for acrylics awards or plates that have unusual shapes to them? I am trying to engrave an acrylic award in the JDS catalog called Luminary SURGE and it has a very unique shape and the sides are not symmetrical. It it a little difficult to lay out my design. I also ran into this when I was engraving a plate with some design on it already, the rising star plate. Thanks

Mike Null
02-15-2011, 11:53 AM
Call JDS tech support and they'll send you their complete template file.

matt heinzel
02-15-2011, 11:54 AM
Log in to your JDS account towards the bottom of the page there is a link to all of their templates.

Annette Plamondon
02-15-2011, 12:07 PM
Really? That is wonderful! Thank you so much!

Annette Plamondon
02-15-2011, 12:10 PM
I just went there and this is not good. I don't use Coral Draw, I cannot open the files. :(

Martin Boekers
02-15-2011, 1:26 PM
I just went there and this is not good. I don't use Coral Draw, I cannot open the files. :(

Will your laser run off of Corel? If it will REALLY consider getting this program as it is a standard of this industry.

One thing though, I use an older version of Corel soooo... I can't open a newer file unless it's saved at the level I use. There is a dialog box
in the save feature that allows you to save it at a variety of lower versions.

What I do with unusual shaped objects is to scan it then import it at full size in to your file.

After I do that I make sure the image is square to the area,

Next I draw an outline around the item, if it has a bevel or other area around the perimeter
I draw another line around that.

This gives you a live area to engrave.

Now on a scrap piece of plastic or mat board you vector (lightly) onto this scrap.

Now all you have to do is set your piece, centered unto the outline and your ready to go!

I don't trust vendor templates too much as you'll find out now all pieces are exactly alike.

Esp. Crystal and glass!

Marty

john passek
02-15-2011, 2:53 PM
Martin
How do you scan an item that has a 2-3" base on it which makes it impossible to lay it flat.

Martin Boekers
02-15-2011, 3:20 PM
Martin
How do you scan an item that has a 2-3" base on it which makes it impossible to lay it flat.

I don't really engrave things that have an affixed base on them, it some times creates an issue with the clearance on the laser
I Beam and or lense assembly so I stay away from those products.

That being said though, I would probably set up and shoot a photograph of it and use that for the "working image"
You just have to make sure everything is square.

I small copy stand would work well for this, but you would have to shim up the piece so it's level.

Hope that helps.

Marty

Dee Gallo
02-15-2011, 3:21 PM
Martin

John, there's more than one way to skin a cat. Go with old tech: get pencil and paper. Trace the outline carefully, then scan that and voila! you have your template.

:) dee

Martin Boekers
02-15-2011, 3:23 PM
John, there's more than one way to skin a cat. Go with old tech: get pencil and paper. Trace the outline carefully, then scan that and voila! you have your template.

:) dee

Voila!!!!!

Ain't nothing wrong with low tech! Quick and Easy!

Nice Dee!

john passek
02-15-2011, 5:48 PM
Hi Dee
That is what I have been doing, thanks.
I make a template from cardstock and define the center point as I use center-center, this way I just set up the item lay the template on top, line up the red dot in the center, then I do a trial run engraving the template to make sure everything fits within the boudries. The template is saved for future runs of the same award.
As Martin said.You do need to be extra careful lasering anything with an attached base, making sure that the laserhead/air assist will not come in contact with the award.
I also found a template for this award in the suppliers (PDU) free template files, it worked aswell.