PDA

View Full Version : Brian Effingers Pin Oak Bowl

Baxter Smith
02-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Last February, Brian Effinger sent me this piece of pin oak. Roughed and posted it on March 1st. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?134327-Woodswap-Roughout-Pin-Oak-Bowl&highlight=Decided 11 ½ months was long enough to dry. It will find a spot somewhere in the house. Thank you Brian!

I probably will never have much of a collection of other turners turnings, but I enjoy having their wood. I think about our connection every time I look at one. Maybe someday I will be lucky enough to meet more than a few of them.:)

8 ¼ x 3 ½ x ½ at the rim. 4 coats of AO. I will buff and knock off a little gloss later.

bob svoboda
02-15-2011, 11:36 AM
Very nice Baxter. Got to love a bowl with a meaningful past to it.

charlie knighton
02-15-2011, 12:07 PM
very nice....

Doug W Swanson
02-15-2011, 2:49 PM
Pretty looking bowl, Baxter. I really like the subtle detail on the outside of the rim.

If you are looking to meet some of us, you should make a trip out to St Paul for the AAW Symposium! Should be a good group here!

John Keeton
02-15-2011, 4:17 PM
Baxter, a very good form for an oak bowl! Very substantial, and fitting for the wood.

Steve Schlumpf
02-15-2011, 4:59 PM
Real nice bowl Baxter! Really like the dark color of the wood! Nice classic form!

Duff Bement
02-15-2011, 7:30 PM
I am really not an oak fan but I like this bowl. It looks very useable and it reminds me of one my grandma had and and she always said it was her favorite. I bet this one end up being some ones favorite too. I may have to change my mind about oak?

Brian Effinger
02-15-2011, 9:46 PM
Love that pin oak. Looks good Baxter, especially the rim. Did you fill in the inclusions with something?

Baxter sent me some wood at the same time, and this post is a good kick in the pants to get it posted. In fact I'm looking at a shallow bowl right in spalted red maple right now - it just needs a few coats of finish. I promise it will be posted soon, Baxter.

Don Alexander
02-15-2011, 10:32 PM
great looking wood and you did it justice

Baxter Smith
02-15-2011, 11:26 PM
Real nice bowl Baxter! Really like the dark color of the wood! Nice classic form!
Thanks Steve. The greens are neat though I suppose they will fade with time.

I am really not an oak fan but I like this bowl. It looks very useable and it reminds me of one my grandma had and and she always said it was her favorite. I bet this one end up being some ones favorite too. I may have to change my mind about oak?
Glad I brought back some memories Duff. The wood is not "perfect" but interesting to look at.

Love that pin oak. Looks good Baxter, especially the rim. Did you fill in the inclusions with something?

Baxter sent me some wood at the same time, and this post is a good kick in the pants to get it posted. In fact I'm looking at a shallow bowl right in spalted red maple right now - it just needs a few coats of finish. I promise it will be posted soon, Baxter.
Thanks again for the wood Brian. Made for an interesting bowl. I didn't try and do anything with the bark inclusion or knots. Tend to leave those things as they are. My patches would tend to look exactly like that.:) Looking forward to seeing the maple piece. I have given away as gifts what I turned from the other two sides but still have the pictures.

Pretty looking bowl, Baxter. I really like the subtle detail on the outside of the rim.

If you are looking to meet some of us, you should make a trip out to St Paul for the AAW Symposium! Should be a good group here!

Thanks Doug. Making that trip has crossed my mind more than a few times. Having never attended any type of turning meeting, event or exhibit, I am sure I would find it both fascinating and mind boggling!

Rob Cunningham
02-17-2011, 1:00 PM
Good looking bowl Baxter. The slight step near the rim adds a nice detail.

steven carter
02-18-2011, 1:21 PM
Very nice bowl Baxter. I like the finish on this one, and the slight step on the lip.

Jim Burr
02-18-2011, 2:21 PM
That's going to hold a lota rice Baxter! Good looking substantial piece of work!

Bernie Weishapl
02-18-2011, 8:20 PM
Really nice bowl Baxter. I really like the color of the wood.