PDA

View Full Version : This ain't pretty

Dave Malen
01-17-2005, 9:16 PM
Hi,
Recently bought a hepa airmate filter. Did this because I'm sensitive to dust and was getting sick alot. (I sure picked the right hobby! :o ) The unit consists of a full face mask,eight hour charger, power pack, and air tube. This is a positive pressure system. Filtered air is blown through the tube and down over your face. Better than a regular face mask because your glasses don't fog and of course your breathing filtered air. The downside is the expense ($500) and you end up scratching the plastic instead of your nose when it itches. :D Pictures (I hope) include Me in the face mask,the various componets, the hepa filter, a look at the battery and fan in the power pack.

Jim Dunn
01-17-2005, 11:11 PM
Luke, I am your Father. No, No, Darth Vader don't lie to me!!

Jim Ketron
01-17-2005, 11:17 PM
Hey Dave if thats what it takes to be able to work in the shop then it's priceless!

Congrats
Im having some dust problems myself just orderd the trend.
Jim

Mike Vermeil
01-17-2005, 11:17 PM
Dave,

If you don't mind me asking, what type of illness have you been experiencing? I used to get a lot of sinus infections from sawdust until I was diagnosed with bad allergies. The antihistamines the allergy doc put me on, when coupled with a little Sudafed when needed, has basically ended them.

Don't know if this applies to you though.

Mike

John Miliunas
01-17-2005, 11:41 PM
Good for you, Dave!:) They've been saying how harmful the small sawdust particulate is, and I think it's important for all WW's to be aware of it and take precautions, even if you don't have a dust-induced illness. Congrats!:) :cool:

Jim Becker
01-18-2005, 12:57 AM
Ooohh...the "White Vader" look!! :D I don't think your wife will let you up out of the shop with that thing on!! (Could be fun...;) )

Keith Christopher
01-18-2005, 1:17 AM
You totally have to paint that black !

Bill Grumbine
01-18-2005, 8:25 AM
Hi Dave

Good move on the filter system! I have one that looks almost the same, although the filter system is a little different as it is designed for fumes. I also have a hard hat with a lexan visor for turning that has a powered air system to it. Once you get used to the thing (and it does not take long) you will really appreciate it, and feel nekkid without it.

BTW, is Upper Dublin down around the Doylestown area? We might be neighbors of a sort. I am up near Kutztown.

Bill

Stan Thigpen
01-18-2005, 10:59 AM
Well, you look prepared for a trip to raid the bee hive....

Dave Malen
01-18-2005, 7:42 PM
Jim,
as long as she sends down food now and then.
Mike,
I have had. like you, sinus infections, bronchitus, prolonged colds( allergic reactions) etc; Even if I didn't have my problems, with the cancer issues, this kind of mask is prudent. Actually it's light weight and very comfortable to wear compared to a regular dust mask.
Bill,
Yes, we are neighbors, sort of. Upper Dublin is about ten minutes west of Willow Grove.

Dave

Shawn Swafford
01-18-2005, 8:08 PM
I have the same one but with a hardhat and faceshield. I wear mine when turning exotic woods on the lathe. You are going to love it.