PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Scraper Advice

Peter Pedisich
02-14-2011, 10:59 PM
Hi, I'm looking for a scraper for an upcoming project - Cherry Hutch - and am trying to determine what is best for my needs. Most of my projects are in softwoods, but I'll be embarking on a cherry hutch this summer, and an oak chest next month.
I'm looking at:
LN 85
LN112
LV Scraper Plane
LV Scraper Set (this is the most economical, or just the scaper holder w/one scraper)

Maybe I answered my own question, I could start off with the LV single scaper holder and add the plane later if needed.

But I'd still like to hear your thoughts on the selections above. Is the LV really more comfortable with the greater finger clearance at the front knob? Is the LV "bowing" feature really helpful? Would the flush side ability of the LN 85 mean much?

Thanks very much in advance!

Pete

Russell Sansom
02-14-2011, 11:22 PM
I don't mean to be impertinent, but why don't you simply use a scraper? Is your notion to use it for finishing? They're fun to get to know and once set up they work remarkably well. I sharpen up two at the beginning of each project and keep one close at hand for erasing notes from my bench, for removing pencil marks on the work, and then for an occasional finishing sub-task --- generally I let the #4 smoothing plane provide the final finish.
I haven't used the Stanley 112 that's in one of my tool chests, but I always thought they were meant for impossible planing tasks, like finishing veneer.

Peter Pedisich
02-14-2011, 11:40 PM
Russell,

Yes, that actually is the most economical choice, I could pick up a couple of scrapers for $10-15.

Pete

Russell Sansom
02-15-2011, 12:38 AM
Am I right in thinking that you haven't used one? Or sharpened one? If so, you're in for a treat. By all means buy one. Sharpen it. Stick with it until you're taking little shavings that you find amazing and there you are. You'll find all the advice you need on the internet. I'll add mine:
1) number the 4 sides
2) Look out for burned fingers! They'll happen before you know it.
3) Become fluent at sharpening / touching up and use that skill to resharpen often. One swipe with the burnisher and you can be back to a good edge.

Jim R Edwards
02-15-2011, 8:05 AM
My favorite scrapers are the LN 212 followed by the LV112.

David Weaver
02-15-2011, 8:23 AM
I also like the 212 the best. It is the only scraper I use unless something warrants a card scraper, despite having had a stanley 112 and the LV large scraper in the past. Hone the edge sharp and roll a hook on whatever you get to improve the quality of the surface that's left behind.

I have never needed one for cherry or oak. A second plane iron with a back bevel or a short small plane with a steep pitch is my choice if there is grain changing directions on something.

Peter Pedisich
02-15-2011, 9:17 AM
Am I right in thinking that you haven't used one? Or sharpened one? If so, you're in for a treat. By all means buy one. Sharpen it. Stick with it until you're taking little shavings that you find amazing and there you are. You'll find all the advice you need on the internet. I'll add mine:
1) number the 4 sides
2) Look out for burned fingers! They'll happen before you know it.
3) Become fluent at sharpening / touching up and use that skill to resharpen often. One swipe with the burnisher and you can be back to a good edge.

Russell, that is correct, I've never used a scraper other than trying out one shaped like a french curve at a chairmaking class a while back. Thanks for the tips!