PDA

View Full Version : New to the lathe world help me out with a brand

Bo McCorkle
02-14-2011, 10:45 PM
Guys help me out thinking about buying a lath what to know what brand you you like and what functions to look for been looking at the turncrafter commander that will swing 12 inches or something in that price rang of 500 dallors in a midi lath

David E Keller
02-14-2011, 10:46 PM
Delta 46-460 would be my vote for an nice midi.

Roger Chandler
02-14-2011, 10:48 PM
Guys help me out thinking about buying a lath what to know what brand you you like and what functions to look for been looking at the turncrafter commander that will swing 12 inches or something in that price rang of 500 dallors in a midi lath

Bo,

the turncraft commander is a pretty nice little machine.........for about the same money you can get a better one that also reverses and has more power. It it the Delta Midi...........model 46-460 which everyone who has gotten one seems to like very much..........great reviews on it so far. Just a suggestion and you can find them on sale at WoodCraft and other places from time to time.

Jon McElwain
02-14-2011, 10:55 PM
Yep, I've got a Delta 46-460 (sitting near my Oneway) and love it. That little machine does everything I have asked it too and is the best lathe for the money in my opinion. 1 hp motor, electronic variable speed, reverse, standard sizes on everything (tool rest, spindle threads, etc.). I think Woodcraft is having a sale right now - they should be around $510??

Michael James
02-14-2011, 11:14 PM
I too was thinking about that lathe, and went with the delta 46-460. No regrets at all!

Tim Thiebaut
02-15-2011, 12:50 AM
I know that everyone here loves there 46-460...but I would feel ashamed if I didnt at least mention the Jet 1220VS, it does not have a reverse, but I love mine and have had no issues with it, worth looking at.

Steve Schlumpf
02-15-2011, 7:37 AM
Bo - good luck in choosing a lathe! I know a lot of folks with full sized lathes have picked up the Delta 46-460 model also and love it!

Looking forward to seeing the photos of your new lathe!

Kyle Iwamoto
02-15-2011, 11:15 AM
Although I have a Jet 10 inch, I've turned on the Delta and I have to say that it is a great machine. The Jet has 1 or 2 things I like better, but given the choice, I'd go for the Delta. If cost is an issue, check the Rikon mini, it can handle 12" also. No reverse though. Remember that you need to allow quite a few dollars for tools. OH yeah since I have a Jet I also like the Jet 12", but I think it's almost as much as the Delta, but as mentioned no reverse. Any of these are worth a look. If you don't mind used, keep an eye out on CL. I just seen a Delta for $250. IF I had spare monies, I'd have 3 lathes now.

Rick Cicciarelli
02-15-2011, 2:24 PM
The Delta is almost $100 off right now at Woodcraft until the end of the month. At $509 I think it is a great deal. I will be taking advantage of the sale myself before the end of the week!!! :)