PDA

View Full Version : moving 14' powermatic bandsaw

Jeff Smi
02-14-2011, 8:46 PM
as i stated in a previous post i need to move my shop to a self-storage unit for a couple months, I'm wondering what the best way to move it will be? I have the following tools
Delta 10" hybrid table saw
14" powermatic band saw
6' JET jointer
delta 14X40 lathe
New yankee router table
new yankee milter saw station
harbor frieght dust collector.

I have access to a flat-bed utility trailer, i don't think this is the best way to transport things (specially the bandsaw) I would rather transport in a enclosed trailer/box truck, but these would require being rented.

anyt houghts ?

Van Huskey
02-14-2011, 9:02 PM
First the way i would move it actually depends on whether it is a "modern" Delta clone or an older 140/141/143.

Either way remove the table, it reduces the chance of a disaster if it tips over, makes it lighter AND reduces the temptation to wrestle it by the table!

If it is an older saw with all the electrics and motor in the base I pull the saw off the base and lay the saw portion carefully cradles in a couple of movers blankets and strapped down if the move is long or bumpy.

If it is a newer saw then the wiring makes the "split" complicated so I just strap the saw down upright with ratchet straps and move away.

The main thing is to avoid trashing the trunnions or table which removing the table will go a long way to preventing even if you have an accident.

Jeff Smi
02-14-2011, 9:19 PM
it's a newer saw maybe 2008/2009? its hybrid so removing the top is less then ideal (cabinet saw house, with contractor saw guts) from what i can remember a 2x4 was stuffed in the cabinet for the originally shipping. What are the thoughts on the band saw ? do you think a utility trailer will do ? or would enclosed be a better option ? keep in mind i will probably encounter some water in the process of transporting due to snow melting :)

Stephen Cherry
02-14-2011, 9:27 PM
These machines are generally top heavy. One thing I have done is to dumpster dive some pallets, and also get some 4x4's. Place sections of 4x4 into the pallets under the mounting area of the base, then bolt the machine down or strap securely. At that point the machines can be dragged around or slid on or off a trailer using a ramp. It's amaizing how much weight you can move just by rocking things back and forth, but a mobile base sure would help. You also don't want to cheap out on the straps-- you don't need super heavy duty straps, but you do want something that will stay tight.

I would say that a trip to your local harbor freight or tsc would be in order.

Van Huskey
02-14-2011, 9:46 PM
it's a newer saw maybe 2008/2009? its hybrid so removing the top is less then ideal (cabinet saw house, with contractor saw guts) from what i can remember a 2x4 was stuffed in the cabinet for the originally shipping. What are the thoughts on the band saw ? do you think a utility trailer will do ? or would enclosed be a better option ? keep in mind i will probably encounter some water in the process of transporting due to snow melting :)

I was talking about the bandsaw, didn't know you were asking about the table saw...

John Petsche
05-13-2012, 10:58 PM
great tips on model types and wiring, thanks for all the insight.

John P.

Myk Rian
05-14-2012, 7:24 AM
i What are the thoughts on the band saw ?
Take the table off and lay it on its spine.

George wilmore
05-14-2012, 7:26 PM
Do not do what my son did. He did not tie things down. He thought he was only going 4 blocks no problem. He turned to sharp and broke the trunnion on his bandsaw and fence on his tablesaw. Tie things down really well take nothing for a sure thing.