PDA

View Full Version : Shop Fox Mini-Lathe, Opinions Needed

Tom LaRussa
01-17-2005, 8:20 PM
I find myself in need of one of those "spinny things" but I don't have any money to speak of.

Someday I'd like to have one of those monster jobbers that can turn an entire stump into a big bowl, but for now I really need a lathe -- any lathe that works reasonably well -- for turning chisel handles and plane knobs. I have about a dozen projects on hold due to this lack. :(

The only lathe I have found that does not look like a toy, and which I think I could get away with purchasing without causing myself to be put out of the house, is the Wilton mini. I can pick it up on Amazon for $99, shipping included.

Do you all think it will do the job? Is there anything better I should look at for the same price?

TIA,

Tom

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-17-2005, 8:50 PM
Evenin' Tom:

I have one of the Wilton $69.00-$89.00 lathes (depending on the current sale). I bought it as a "traveling" lathe because of weight. My regular lathe is a Jet Mini. If you have $200.00 to put out, go for the Jet, if not, the Wilton will surprise you. It's a decent lathe; variable speed, too.

Bruce

Tom LaRussa
01-25-2005, 7:16 PM
Evenin' Tom:

I have one of the Wilton $69.00-$89.00 lathes (depending on the current sale). I bought it as a "traveling" lathe because of weight. My regular lathe is a Jet Mini. If you have $200.00 to put out, go for the Jet, if not, the Wilton will surprise you. It's a decent lathe; variable speed, too.

BruceWell, I went ahead and ordered the Wilton from Amazon, but now they say it's backordered until late February, and I've got about 30 chisels that need new handles right now!

So, any opinions on the Shop Fox 1704 mini lathe? http://www.northwestpowertools.com/lathe/w1704.htm

It's about the same size as the Wilton, and just a little bit more expensive at $139 delivered vs $99 delivered for the Wilton.

Anybody used a Shop Fox?

Dawn Sunkle
01-27-2005, 2:28 PM
That Wilton Lathe looks interesting. I think that may be the one I go with since I'm on a tight tight budget and really antsy to get started.
Thanks for posting about this one and giving it a good report.
I know its not a Jet, but it'll get me started.

Dawn

Tom LaRussa
01-27-2005, 3:29 PM
That Wilson Lathe looks interesting. I think that may be the one I go with since I'm on a tight tight budget and really antsy to get started.
Thanks for posting about this one and giving it a good report.
I know its not a Jet, but it'll get me started.

Dawn
Hi Dawn,

I went ahead and ordered the Shop Fox, even though it's $39 more, because I was unable to find anybody who had the Wilton in stock and I can't wait until mid-February, which is when Amazon says it would be delievered.

But the Shop Fox is apparently a new machine, which kind of worries me.

Have you found the Wilton in stock anywhere?

TIA,

Tom

Peter Gavin
01-27-2005, 3:40 PM
Tom,

Menards (an upper Mid-West chain) has them in stock for 89.99. If you are really in a rush I could pick one up for you and ship it.

Peter

PS. I bought one for myself and so far it has done everything I've asked of it, but I've never turned before so I can't say if that is good or bad.