PDA

View Full Version : Another hand plane question

Adam Cormier
02-14-2011, 7:04 PM
Why would I want to get a block plane instead of a smooth plane? I am by no means a hand plane expert but I often hear the block plane recommended (usually a low angle block plane) and I am just wondering if one replaces the other or they are completely separate beasts? A detailed explanation would be much appreciated!

Thanks again guys!

Peter Pedisich
02-14-2011, 7:23 PM
Adam,

You are going to get answers from people who know boatloads more than me on this subject, but I'll give my perspective anyway.
Even back when I was all power tools, I kept (and still use) a Stanley low angle block plane for quick and clean chamfers, trimming plugs flush, and rounding off edges. It is a tool one should keep in a convenient place for just about any woodworking project.

Pete

Adam Cormier
02-14-2011, 7:39 PM
Thanks for the response Pete. I didn't think of that. All of those jobs you mentioned would be a great reason to have a small plane instead of bringing out a big one that may even be too large for the job

Charlie Buchanan
02-14-2011, 7:48 PM
The low-angle block plane is especially suited to trimming end grain. The smooth plane is especially suited to putting a smooth final finish on show surfaces before applying finish. Often a smooth planed surface is done instead of sanding. Both planes can be used for other purposes depending on how they are set up.

Jim Koepke
02-14-2011, 8:44 PM
Howdy Adam and welcome to the Creek.

Here is a post of mine about hand plane use that has a little about block planes. You might have to scroll down to the second page.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?148076

Block planes are very handy for getting into places were a bigger plane might be a difficult task at best.

Today while doing the final trim on a stool being made for my wife, my block planes were real handy for trimming the chamfers on the end of the legs and along the edges. They can be used two handed, but small ones are also easy to use one handed.

jtk

Pam Niedermayer
02-14-2011, 8:50 PM
Good question, to which I don't know the answer. I find these plane categorizations totally arbitrary, or at least not at all understandable to me. For example, why is my LN LA Jack a block plane?

I know what a smoother is used for and why they're short; but why are they called bench planes?

And then there are the carriage rebate planes. Why is a short one called a block plane and a large one a bench plane?

Frankly, I've always thought this is a completely male thing created as a result of a natural tendency to categorize to spuriousosity (:)), and the need to invent a naming methodology to obfuscate the plane world, which few of them understood to start with. :)

Pam, who wonders if Dooling will want to kill this post

Frank Drew
02-14-2011, 10:07 PM
Frankly, I've always thought this is a completely male thing created as a result of a natural tendency to categorize to spuriousosity (:)), and the need to invent a naming methodology to obfuscate the plane world, which few of them understood to start with. :)

Ha!

Old Chinese proverb: The beginning of knowledge is calling things by their right names.

So there :D.

Pam Niedermayer
02-14-2011, 11:14 PM
Ha!

Old Chinese proverb: The beginning of knowledge is calling things by their right names.

So there :D.

Yes, I agree; and the right names are: smoother, try, jack, joiner/jointer, rebate/rabbet, shoulder, etc. :) Block and bench are categories. I think Adam Cherubini had an alternative plane categorization system some years ago, in which he relied on functions, iirc.

Pam

Adam Cormier
02-15-2011, 12:35 AM
Howdy Adam and welcome to the Creek.

Here is a post of mine about hand plane use that has a little about block planes. You might have to scroll down to the second page.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?148076

Block planes are very handy for getting into places were a bigger plane might be a difficult task at best.

Today while doing the final trim on a stool being made for my wife, my block planes were real handy for trimming the chamfers on the end of the legs and along the edges. They can be used two handed, but small ones are also easy to use one handed.

jtk

Wow, talk about hand planer 101. Thanks for the link Jim, very informative!

Andrew Yang
02-15-2011, 10:10 AM
Generally

Bench Plane - blade supported by frog & chipbreaker
Block Plane - blade supported by plane body & lever cap

Bevel-up planes by this definition are commonly block planes regardless of the size.