PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic Jointer project *update"

Tim Morton
01-17-2005, 8:18 PM
I am almost done with this project and just thought i would put some updated pictures. I still need to paint the jointer itself to match the base(as you can see some of the overspray. I decided to stay with the hammered gold paint for now, and it blends pretty well. Although the pictures don't show that. The difference is not as noticable as the pictures show. I was thinking of having the the top resurfaced because there is some pitting, but I think mostly its not going to affect the use of the jointer, but i would like it to look "new". As you can see from the before shots...its coming along fine.

Ted Shrader
01-17-2005, 8:37 PM
Tim -

There is a WORLD of difference in the "before" and "after" shots. Good work, buddy!

You will be really pleased with it when the first board goes through it. And then every board thereafter.

Regards,
Ted

Joe Mioux
01-17-2005, 8:43 PM
Tim:

That jointer looks great!!!! Congrats.

Randy Carver
01-17-2005, 9:05 PM
Looks great! Did you resolve your motor issues?

John Edwards
01-17-2005, 9:06 PM
Ya done GOOD !!

Tim Morton
01-17-2005, 9:19 PM
[QUOTE]Looks great! Did you resolve your motor issues?[QUOTE]

I am not sure "which" motor issues you refer to, but to make a long story short, the motor that came with the jointer was determined to be basically unrepairable short of a complete rebuild. So i bought a Leeson 2HP replacement motor from electricwarehouse.com. That motor arrived damaged and they shipped me out a new one that arrived a couple days later in perfect shape. I have it all wired up and ready to plug in as soon as i get a 220v line installed in a couple weeks.

Did that answer your question? Once I get the link belt on i will take a picture of the new motor and belt.

Randy Carver
01-17-2005, 9:46 PM
Yes, Tim, that answered the question. I knew it was a bit of a saga, glad you have it worked out.

Jim O'Dell
01-17-2005, 9:55 PM
That is one good looking machine. Maybe one of these days I'll stumble into something like that to work on. I bet it is very satisifying!!! Good work!!! Jim.

Silas Smith
01-17-2005, 10:24 PM
I'm sure you have covered this in a previous thread, but how did you get your bed so shiny? You helped me out with choosing my DJ-20, now I wan't it to be as pretty as yours.

Tim Morton
01-17-2005, 10:38 PM
Here are the motor pics:

Tim Morton
01-17-2005, 10:48 PM
[QUOTE]I'm sure you have covered this in a previous thread, but how did you get your bed so shiny?[/QUOTE

I have done alot of things to the top. And trust me if you looked at it up close you would see its not quite as pretty as the pictures, but it is nice and smooth. I started with WD-40 and douns that too not do much even with a ROS and scotchbrite pads. I found a thread where someone used GoJo hand cleaner and that worked great to get the rust off and semi-clean. I then moved at the suggestion of someone in here to use a flat board and various frades of sandpaer up t o the highest I could find, 400 grit. That did a great job at getting most of the black stains off. I then bought some TopSaver today and treated it with that whihc worked pretty good to clean it even further and I added a coat of butchers wax which really got it smooth and pretty shiny. I would like to try T-9 but can't find it locally. Sounds like alot of work, but I would guess i have less than 3 hours into the whole cleaning of the top. Most of that was using the GoJo hand cleaner.

and for the record i think your DJ-20 looks GREAT!! :cool:

John Shuk
01-17-2005, 10:50 PM
Tim,
The jointer looks great. I hope mine comes out half as nice.
John

Tim Morton
01-17-2005, 10:59 PM
Tim,
The jointer looks great. I hope mine comes out half as nice.
John

I thnk you can land an F-18 on that thing!!! Hows yours coming? Did you get a new motor for it? seems like a bunch of us chose to rehab jointers this month.

Jim Dunn
01-17-2005, 11:09 PM
Very nice job of rebuilding a fine piece of machinery! You must have a small fortune in "link belting" on that jointer, right? Is there going to be a cover for the belt at the top pulley?

Jim

John Miliunas
01-17-2005, 11:17 PM
WOW! Day and night difference, Tim! As for getting the top any shinier...Hey, that's what they make mirrors for!:D Besides, if (when!) you get some scratches in it, you won't feel quite as bad if it doesn't start with a complete chromium look to it! Great job and yeah, how much of the Link-Belt did you need for that?!:confused: :) :cool:

Tim Morton
01-17-2005, 11:20 PM
Very nice job of rebuilding a fine piece of machinery! You must have a small fortune in "link belting" on that jointer, right? Is there going to be a cover for the belt at the top pulley?

The link belt was a 5' footer and I have some(about 10") left over...cost about $26 at amazon. Yes there is a cover....if you look back to the very first picture from over head, you will see that behind the fence is the cover. That whole fence rides on a CI extension that allows it to slide foward or backward. I just have it off now to adjust the pulleys and motor position.

John Edwards
01-18-2005, 3:32 AM
Hey Tim,
not to hijack your thread but link belt can be had fairly cheaply at Grainger. In fact IIRC they even have different widths.
Again Tim you have done a real good job. Glad to see you went to the trouble of replacing the warning stickers etc. Makes it even better.

Gary Sutherland
01-18-2005, 6:59 AM
Beautiful job!!

Marshall Harrison
01-18-2005, 7:40 AM
Tim, there's a world of difference between those before and after pictures. You did goooood! Especcially on that top cleanup. I've got new equipment that isn't that shiny.

Rob Russell
01-18-2005, 8:19 AM
Nice job on the restoration!

scott spencer
01-18-2005, 8:34 AM
Does my heart good to see a machine come to life like that. Good work!

Seth Poorman
04-18-2006, 11:29 PM
Hey Tim
Good clean up job on the jointer,looks alot better. :)
It just amazes me how a person could let a good american made piece of
equipment go like this !!!!! :(
They should have been SHOT !:eek: ..............:D Seth...

Tim Morton
04-19-2006, 12:00 AM
Hey Tim
Good clean up job on the jointer,looks alot better. :)
It just amazes me how a person could let a good american made piece of
equipment go like this !!!!! :(
They should have been SHOT !:eek: ..............:D Seth...

In his defense (since he is a friend of mine) work got in the way...he was/is building his empire from scratch. He started a company called Chandler4Corners and that pretty much consumed 26hours out of his 24 hours day.:D

thats him on the right.
http://chandler4corners.com/index.php?main_page=page_2&zenid=f0a2964be543b14bf39f7c268a4493b6

Chris Rosenberger
04-19-2006, 8:06 AM
It looks great Tim. Nice job.
What was the paint that you used?