PDA

View Full Version : molding plane

greg Forster
02-14-2011, 5:16 PM
I have access to some "close-to QS" yellow birch and am wondering is there an "ideal" growth rings per inch?; are too tight of growth rings as bad as too few?

David Weaver
02-14-2011, 5:19 PM
Any will be fine, don't worry about the ring count unless you're making planes to sell - you'll never use the planes enough to wear them out. If you can get QS wood good for planes, you're ahead to begin with.

greg Forster
02-14-2011, 7:35 PM
If I obtain some plane making stock no "worse" than my drawing, would it work okay for thinner 3/8"-1", molding planes or would it likely warp?
Trying not to be too O/C on this, but don't want to waste time and money and I just don't know how perfect QS stock needs to be.

Russell Sansom
02-14-2011, 9:27 PM
Great question, Greg.

David Weaver
02-14-2011, 9:36 PM
Greg - if it's dry, it should be fine. You can fine tune them over time, anyway.

I recall reading somewhere that it's more critical for the big long planes bench planes to be quartersawn. I don't know if larry said that, or if I saw it in a WPINCA book.

it has taken me a long time to amass a nice pile of wood good for moulding planes. Most of it, i have paid $10 a bd foot for, but it is all 8/4+.

If the price is reasonable, I would get wood that is as you pictured and better, especially if it's dry or you have the time to let it dry.

john brenton
02-14-2011, 9:59 PM
The grain I have on my molders aren't guitar top tight...but they are fairly tight, with the tightest grain being at the sole.