PDA

View Full Version : router table 53nx33 by Woodpeckers.....is this too large to be really usable

tom coleman
02-14-2011, 5:09 PM
I am considering Woodpeckers largest router table top 53 x 33 with cutout offset to one end. This is dsigned for the Incra jig which may be a future purchase if I win the lottery.
My motivation is to build a substantial router cabinet with lots of stotage and replace an existing assembly/storage/pocket hole joinery table. I am very space limited. I would mount the to be built cabinet on a mobile stand.

My thinking is to also build an auxilliary top for pocket hole joinery w Kreg Klamp track and Kreg hold downs and clamp it to router table top as required.

Although I subscribe to bigger is better thinking, I got to wondering if a router table this large may present problems I haven't thought of

glenn bradley
02-14-2011, 5:19 PM
I am adding a second router station and am playing with the idea of it being part of my outfeed table for the TS. The current outfeed holds a drawer unit and cutoffs. My point is that the idea of the surface being oversized for "just" a router table may fade if you add another purpose as you describe. Just food for thought.

Ray Newman
02-14-2011, 5:49 PM
You said that you are space limited.

Get a large carboard appliance box -- something like a refrigerator box -- from your local appliance store. Then cut out a piece the size of the WoodPeck router table top. Place that on a box, saw horses, etc., and you soon get an idea if you have enough space for such a large a table top and cabinet.

'Sorta' thinking outloud here:

Or, fabricate a "standard-size" router cabinet with removal tops -- a smaller top and the WoodPeck aircraft carrier top? If there is open wall space, build a brackets to hold the larger top flat against the wall and off the floor. To remove the tops, install aluminum brackets along the cainet sides and drill holes for threaded inserts in the tops. Plastic or star knobs with bolt lengths of the appropriate diameter will easily and quickly secure the tops in place.

Tyler R. Jones
02-16-2011, 9:50 PM
I just built mine into my TS outfeed table as Glenn mentioned, it's amazing. So I have a 4by8 router table that can handle huge pieces. I built an 8' fence and sunk flush threaded inserts into the table, cut slots in the fence to make it adjustable.