PDA

View Full Version : What Does It All Mean?

Jim Koepke
02-14-2011, 3:02 PM
Did you know this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL9Wu2kWwSY

jtk

John Sanford
02-14-2011, 4:19 PM
It means that the difference between useful information and trivia is context.

Bill Edwards(2)
02-14-2011, 4:44 PM
Did you know.... a computer is on Jeopardy right now... as a contestant.

Rick Moyer
02-14-2011, 7:22 PM
It means it's getting harder to seperate the wheat from the chaff, especially when there is SO much chaff. "Don't believe everything you read" and only part of what you see. Impossible to absorb everything anymore, so I'm focusing on golf and woodworking;).

Jim Koepke
02-14-2011, 9:50 PM
Impossible to absorb everything anymore, so I'm focusing on golf and woodworking.

Sounds like a solid plan. My best at golf is as a caddy, so gardening will be my second to woodworking.

jtk

John Coloccia
02-14-2011, 10:25 PM
The video won't play on my iPhone so I'm going to have to take a guess based on the thread title and go with, "Whoa...a double rainbow, all the way...".

David Cramer
02-16-2011, 7:23 AM
It means it's getting harder to seperate the wheat from the chaff, especially when there is SO much chaff. "Don't believe everything you read" and only part of what you see. Impossible to absorb everything anymore, so I'm focusing on golf and woodworking;).

Agreed:) As a young whipper snapper in 1982, I remember our local NBC newstation in Detroit doing a story on the year 2000 and what things will cost. At the time I believed very little of the stories claims/predictions.

One that I did not believe was that an average house will cost 1 million dollars in the United States of America by 2000. The average cost of a house in the year 2000 was nowhere near 1 million dollars, but the experts said it would be. It was $200,300. I too don't believe everything I read and only part of what I hear. In addition, that was also the dotcom era and things were inflating quickly.

They also said it would cost the average person $12 to buy a hamburger, with nothing else included and that was "not" at a fine restaurant which was emphasized during the report.

In 1992, an engineer friend told me that 80% of what he learned in college was of no use to him for his actual job and I believe there is a lot of truth to that.

David

John Neel
02-16-2011, 11:37 AM
Agreed:)

In 1992, an engineer friend told me that 80% of what he learned in college was of no use to him for his actual job and I believe there is a lot of truth to that.

David

I ended up as a professor, teaching statistics and research methods, and even much of my undergraduate major in mathematics was not directly usable in either the teaching or research I did in my life. However, some of the theory and other ways of looking at the world were very helpful indirectly. They provided a background that helped me look at my work.

Now for the non major courses: poetry, psychology, humanities, art, German, logic, marriage and family living, and others. None of them were directly useful in my work. However, I would not have missed one of them and wish that I had been able to take more. Each one has enriched my life, made the world more interesting, and helped see me through a constantly changing world since I started college in 1962. Even the required two years, Freshman and Sophomore years, of PE have been useful (Fortunately for me I had instructors for those courses who were interested in making my life healthy and increasing my knowledge and appreciation of sport rather than turning out a group of jocks.) I feel sad if anyone doesn't realize that college, and particularly undergraduate college, is about more than job preparation. As a retiree from the University system of Georgia I can take courses without charge. As soon as my list of projects is whittled down to the point that I have some time, I intend to take some of those other life enhancing courses that I did not have the time or resources to take earlier. They will not be contributing to my work, but I believe I will find them worthwhile.

hank dekeyser
02-17-2011, 9:20 AM
The video won't play on my iPhone so I'm going to have to take a guess based on the thread title and go with, "Whoa...a double rainbow, all the way...".

Pretty much -- yeah

DID YOU KNOW - 1 in 5 people actually think youtube is worth viewing - more than half the people worldwide, are below average - your hand is soaking in dish detergent - relax its palmolive

Bill Edwards(2)
02-17-2011, 9:51 AM
your hand is soaking in dish detergent - relax its palmolive

You do know madge died in '04? I think you can still watch her on youtube.