PDA

View Full Version : Graphics card help

Sean Troy
02-14-2011, 1:37 PM
Can anyone help me find this item? HP NVIDIA Quadro4 280NVS 64MB DDR Dual Head (with VGA Y-cable) PCI Graphics Card. Or, can a Y cable be used with existing graphics card to run two monitors? thanks for any help, Sean

Derek Gilmer
02-14-2011, 2:11 PM
A few versions came up on amazon and google shopping. But I have to ask, is there a reason for this specific card? There are much better cards around for the same price.

Chuck Wintle
02-14-2011, 4:36 PM
A few versions came up on amazon and google shopping. But I have to ask, is there a reason for this specific card? There are much better cards around for the same price.

I have to agree with Derek....thiat is an old card...there are newer and better cards available for the same money or less.

Sean Troy
02-14-2011, 4:45 PM
I have to agree with Derek....thiat is an old card...there are newer and better cards available for the same money or less.

How will I know what is compatible with that computer? Any dual VGA PCI card would work? Thanks, Sean

Derek Gilmer
02-14-2011, 4:48 PM
Yep, any pci card will work. Just don't get a pci express (pci-e) or agp and you are good to go.

Many of them will have dual monitor ports by default so you don't have to mess with a splitter.

Here is a selection from newegg with two vga (dsub) ports:http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709+600007853+600007831&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=48&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

Actually, I'll look when I get home I might have one you can have. I can't remember if it is agp or pci though.

Sean Troy
02-14-2011, 5:02 PM
Yep, any pci card will work. Just don't get a pci express (pci-e) or agp and you are good to go.

Many of them will have dual monitor ports by default so you don't have to mess with a splitter.

Here is a selection from newegg with two vga (dsub) ports:http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709+600007853+600007831&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=48&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

Actually, I'll look when I get home I might have one you can have. I can't remember if it is agp or pci though.

Little bit of info I forgot to mention. This CPU is horizontal and a little thinner than a verticle CPU. Does that mean I need a low profile card? Thanks aging, Sean

Derek Gilmer
02-14-2011, 5:16 PM
By cpu do you mean the computer case? If that is the case you may need a low profile card.

Chuck Wintle
02-14-2011, 5:16 PM
Little bit of info I forgot to mention. This CPU is horizontal and a little thinner than a verticle CPU. Does that mean I need a low profile card? Thanks aging, Sean

Is it a standard computer enclosure you are using? Not sure what you mean by horizontal vs vertical.

Chuck Wintle
02-14-2011, 5:19 PM
Can anyone help me find this item? HP NVIDIA Quadro4 280NVS 64MB DDR Dual Head (with VGA Y-cable) PCI Graphics Card. Or, can a Y cable be used with existing graphics card to run two monitors? thanks for any help, Sean

do your monitors have digital inputs?

Chuck Wintle
02-14-2011, 5:21 PM
By cpu do you mean the computer case? If that is the case you may need a low profile card.

a good selection of low profile cards are available at newegg.

Sean Troy
02-14-2011, 5:24 PM
It's the type of case that lays down as opposed to standing upright. One of the monitors is actually a 42" Flat screen TV.

Derek Gilmer
02-14-2011, 5:34 PM
It's the type of case that lays down as opposed to standing upright. One of the monitors is actually a 42" Flat screen TV.

Does it have any other cards (like sound or network) in it? That can tell you if you need a low profile or not.

Sean Troy
02-14-2011, 5:47 PM
Does it have any other cards (like sound or network) in it? That can tell you if you need a low profile or not.

Haven't opened it up yet. How do I tell the difference? Thanks, Sean

Derek Gilmer
02-14-2011, 6:24 PM
Normal size cards are around 3.75 tall from the top of the green pcb to the bottom of the pins that slip into the board. Probably around 3.25 inches not counting the pin part.

Sean Troy
02-14-2011, 11:27 PM
Normal size cards are around 3.75 tall from the top of the green pcb to the bottom of the pins that slip into the board. Probably around 3.25 inches not counting the pin part.

Thank you. I'll go with all the info you and everyone gave me. i really appreciate the help. Thanks to all, Sean

Bill Huber
02-15-2011, 8:03 AM
Does the TV have an input for VGA. HDMI or RGB, this will make a big difference in what card you can use. If the TV does not have a VGA input you will have to have a TV card.

Sean Troy
02-15-2011, 8:14 AM
Yes, we've been using the VGA on the TV connected to a laptop to run Power Point presentations.

Derek Gilmer
02-15-2011, 8:19 AM
Thank you. I'll go with all the info you and everyone gave me. i really appreciate the help. Thanks to all, Sean
No problem, if you figure out what height you have let me know I'll dig around my box of computer parts and see if I have one to fit that is of decent speed/quality.

Scott Flamm
02-15-2011, 10:02 AM
Sean, it might help if you posted a picture of your computer case with something for scale. A picture of the back or inside would be particularly usefull. It would let us see how many pci slots are available and how much room you have in your case (which would give a better idea of what the constraints of your case are). Do your monitors only accept vga or will they accept DVI, HDMI, or displayport?

Sean Troy
02-15-2011, 11:01 AM
Intel Extreme Graphics 2 (integrated with Intel 865GV chipset) SFF MT

NVIDIA Quadro4 100NVS PCI (64-MB, VGA & DVI), full height MT

Looks like a full size card would work?

Derek Gilmer
02-15-2011, 11:06 AM
Intel Extreme Graphics 2 (integrated with Intel 865GV chipset) SFF MT

NVIDIA Quadro4 100NVS PCI (64-MB, VGA & DVI), full height MT

Looks like a full size card would work?

Yep full height should work. One other question, does your tv have HDMI in?
Here is a nice open box deal from newegg that has VGA, DVI and HDMI outs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131325R

And here are 4 of PCI cards with HDMI output in general:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709+600007853+600031507&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=48&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

At least to me and HDMI looks much better than vga connections if that matters to you.

Sean Troy
02-15-2011, 11:19 AM
Yep full height should work. One other question, does your tv have HDMI in?
Here is a nice open box deal from newegg that has VGA, DVI and HDMI outs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131325R

And here are 4 of PCI cards with HDMI output in general:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709+600007853+600031507&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=48&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

At least to me and HDMI looks much better than vga connections if that matters to you.

does have HDMI but we are limited to VGA because that cable is run already and it was a very difficult run to make going through two very deep headers

Sean Troy
02-15-2011, 11:54 AM

One last question, 64 bit OK?

Derek Gilmer
02-15-2011, 2:12 PM
One last question, 64 bit OK?
Definitely. The higher the bit the better actually. It works via a standard pci slot on the computer. The 64 bit refers to the internal processor and memory style.

Sean Troy
02-15-2011, 2:15 PM
Definitely. The higher the bit the better actually. It works via a standard pci slot on the computer. The 64 bit refers to the internal processor and memory style.

Thank you.

Bryan Morgan
02-16-2011, 12:07 AM

Those cards are common with HP and Dell workstations. Its a special cable you have to use. The connector sort of looks like a DVI connector but its not DVI. Those Y cables are fairly common. I have about 500 of those computers at work. I agree with the others though, that card is very old. But then, it really depends what you are wanting to do with it. Its not going to run any super high resolutions or play any modern 3D games or anything. For basic photoshop or whatever on a couple 19" LCDs it will probably do fine. I used a similar card in my main workstation at work up until last week when I replaced it with an older FireGL card with a whopping 256 megs of GDDR2! heh :)