PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
02-14-2011, 10:13 AM
14 Feb 2011

Happy Valentines Day to you!

Sorry I'm running late today but I got sick yesterday with this "bug" that's going around. Fever, chills, cough, sinus, etc. Went to bed last night and just could not get warm. Feeling pretty rough today and exhausted from not sleeping much last night due to fever and chills.

We had 7" of snow last Thursday and then yesterday we had 63 degrees F and sunshine. Supposed to be more of that today, but the way I feel? I'm just going to be a couch potato today.

Woodworking wise, I've been making patterns of some of the wooden utensils that the LOML and LOML Jr want me to make for them. I still have like 4 more to make patterns for and then it will be on to actually on to making them.

Well, that's it for me...time for me to go and hit the couch, drink some more water, take some vitamin C and see if I can get to feeling any better because I'm oncall for work this week.

So what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Shawn Pixley
02-14-2011, 10:26 AM
I complted the last of the BE maple drawer fronts to the table I have been working on. Took a long time to get the drawers fitted just right. Then flooded the BLO on for the first step in finishing. Cleaned up the shop after that.

We are also stripping 1500 sf of oak floors. I am for biting the bullet and refinishing now, but LOML says wait, so...

Matt Meiser
02-14-2011, 10:51 AM
I spent some time in the shop working on my router table. I finally got around to installing the sidewinder kit on my Woodpecker lift, which would have resulted in major changes to my existing cabinet so instead I bought a Kreg stand and have been working on getting everything remounted. While I was at it I discovered my fence wasn't straight due to, I think, an assembly error on my part, so I figured that out and fixed it. I'm kind of stuck on adding drawers so I've stalled out a little while I figure out what I want to do.

Saturday I went to meet someone who was buying something I had for sale on Craigslist. No show, no call--what a jerk. Luckily it wasn't a total waste as we were meeting in the parking lot of a Chipotle since I wanted to go there anyway and was just down the street from Woodcraft. At Woodcraft I picked up the Worksharp knife sharpening machine and got all our kitchen knives sharpened. Nice to be able to cut, rather than smash a tomato again. Took it over to my parents and did theirs too.

We had major snow melt over the weekend revealing how much of the gravel driveway is stuck in the piles of snow. I went out early this morning with the tractor and moved some of the piles to an area where the gravel will pile up in the drive, pulled some of the snow/gravel mix back into the drive and spread in a thin layer to melt today, etc. Its a real pain to rake out of the grass in the spring, especially if we don't get to it before the grass starts growing again.

David Hostetler
02-14-2011, 11:30 AM
I completed a heart shaped bandsaw box for LOML's V-day gift out of maple I got from Rockler back in January... (project posted elsewhere...)

Cleaned up the shop some, including taking the leaf blower to the space behind the miter saw and out the garage door... I am sure the neighbors loved that!

Came up with a design and prototype out of cardboard for a dust hood for the SCMS, utter and complete failure. However I did glean some good ideas for what I think can be done better. (I didn't allow enough room to slide). Not going to mess with it tonight, but I will get back to the drawing board later on this week.

Made Carne Guisada y Papas with fresh home made tortillas, and refried beans with LOML last night. Getting hungry for lunch just thinking about it....

William Hamilton
02-14-2011, 11:48 AM
Kind of a light weekend for me.. I'm working on a live edge walnut bench. One side will have a slab leg with two planned tenons. I cut the shoulders on the router table and wasted out the rest with the bandsaw. Then I cut about 10 rosewood butterfly keys on the bandsaw and sanded them up a bit for future use on this bench and other projects. I love the smell of working with rosewood.. This week I plan on getting a few of those keys into my bench and then dry fitting the slab leg and gluing that up if it's good to go. Then it'll just be a matter of taking care of the other side, which will involve turning two legs with tenons, cutting out some mounting discs, and setting those up for joining.

glenn bradley
02-14-2011, 12:32 PM
Delivered two Valentine's Day boxes to two happy ladies.

Van Huskey
02-14-2011, 12:35 PM
As usual nothing that is really woodworking. I closed in on a lead on a 12" jointer and since it is 7.5hp/3 phase I spent a lot of the weekend teaching myself about RPCs. I noticed my dirt guy started hauling dirt this morning for my new shop, which feels like is is never going to get built, but if I keep buying machines it definitely won't!

Jim Rimmer
02-14-2011, 1:28 PM
For Valentine's LOML wanted one of the guest bedrooms repainted. So that's how i spent the weekend: taped off and painted ceiling, cut in around doors, ceiling, trim, etc. Now ready for the easy part, rolling the walls.

Dennis: I had that crud and would suggest seeing a doctor and getting an antibiotic. It's bad and hard to beat on your own.

John Sanford
02-14-2011, 2:15 PM
Finished up a garage shelving unit for a friend, and we took it over to his place.

Got about half way through making a double sized herd of sawponies. I should get those done today. It will be nice to have sawponies around again. The second set goes to same friend.

BOB OLINGER
02-14-2011, 2:57 PM
In what time I had this weekend, I finished my first Phil Thein separator for my Delta dust collector that I'm changing from mobile to piped system. Looks like I will remove the dust collector from the mobile frame that came with it and mount it a bit higher on the wall enabling the separator to set directly under the unit, thus eliminating a couple of bends in the piping. I'm looking forward to making significant improvements in my dust collection in all areas of my shop.

David Helm
02-14-2011, 3:03 PM
Cleaned and organised my shop; continued work on the live edge slab desk (doing finish before assembly). Got the bikes out and the two of us rode to some friends house and back. My bicycling muscles seem to have gotten rusty!

eric eaton
02-14-2011, 3:17 PM
Cleaned and tuned my Dewalt 735. Cleaned and tuned my Grizz 691 TS ... spent 3 hours chasing miter alignment with a 3/1000 feeler gauge. Rebuilt some sacrificial fences. Went and purchased some BB ply for a new sled.

I really intended to make some progress on my new cherry toolbox - honestly I did. But as I turned off the lights last night I gave my tools a loving caress. Even if I didn't make anything I still feel better about the world knowing my TS blade is clean, aligned, the riving knife is dead center and the fence is 10/1000 out.

:)

Jim O'Dell
02-14-2011, 9:33 PM
Dennis, I'm with Jim on this. LOML gave it to me about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I was in bed all that weekend after working Sat. Tried to get into my Dr. Mon, but no dice. He called in a prescription for me. Some type of cough syrup. Was supposed to knock me out to sleep. Kept me wired instead!! No antibiotics.:confused::confused: I'm still coughing my head off, but some better finally today.
I did go out to the shop yesterday late for about an hour. I pulled 2 strips of slick tape off my G0691 front and rear rail that the fence slides on. Not tough enough. The adjustable nylon pieces made divots in it making is slide roughly. Put on some Starret self stick measuring tapes instead. Works much better now. Also replaced one on my Biese fence on the Ridgid saw. These were Christmas presents and it just now got warm enough to get it done. Jim.

John Cavanaugh
02-14-2011, 10:12 PM
Built some drawers for my drill press stand. Learned more about the subtleties of 3/4 extension drawers (I didnt leave enough clearance on one...) Cleaned up my garage a bit. Ordered some utility pulls online for the drawers (way cheaper than local) and ordered some washers & nuts to have as spare (they were ~1/4 the price of a borg).