PDA

View Full Version : Window removed, now bowed-what'd they do?

Jeremy Milam
02-14-2011, 8:27 AM
The previous owners to our house put on an addition in 1991. This made an exterior wall in the old 1954 part become interior and meant a window had to be removed. The wall has had a bulge to it where the window is and now that we're redoing the room it's very obvious.

I'm trying to figure out what they did and if I can fix it. On one had it's not a huge deal, on the other I'll regret not at least thinking about it every time I see it.

I'm wondering if they just put drywall over the plaster and then mudded it "smooth"? I'm not that knowledgeable and am looking for ideas.

If that's the case did they do it because there was nothing to nail to? Or it was easiest? (They did like to cut corners) If that's the case I assume the plaster covers the studs that window was attached to. Could I take off the drywall and mud, and then screw another stud to the one for the window so I have a nailing surface?

I took more photos but they're too big:(

Advice and suggestions most appreciated. Thanks!
Jeremy

Lee Schierer
02-14-2011, 9:09 AM
Most likely the size difference between 2 x 4's in 1954 and 1991 is at least part of what caused your bulge. Also the original walls were probably plaster over lath or blue board which would be a different thickness than drywall over studs. Your best bet, though more work, would be to remove the coating over the bulged area and fix it right, otherwise crown molding, base etc will all be more work to install. Plus you seem to indicate that the bulge is visible to you. I say fix it right now and be done with it.

Brian Effinger
02-14-2011, 9:28 AM
So, if I'm reading right, in the spot where the original window was, the wall bulges out into the room, and the finished surface of the wall then tapers down into the original finished surface. Is that right? If that is the case, I'd remove the 1991 drywall, and the surrounding wall (plaster or drywall) around the old window. Then you can fur out the wall (build out the studs with thin strips of wood) so that the new drywall will match the existing surface.

On the off chance you're anywhere near Buffalo, NY, let me know. I'd be more than happy to take a look at it.

Neal Clayton
02-14-2011, 9:43 AM
what do ya wanna bet that they didn't even remove the casings and sill, just slapped drywall over the whole thing?

Jeremy Milam
02-14-2011, 11:03 AM
You're correct Brian.

Part of me wants to cut a small hole to see what's there.

What if the studs are thicker for some reason, then I'd have to make them thinner and I"m not sure I could do that.

Neal Clayton
02-14-2011, 1:11 PM
nah, you'd just shim the ones that aren't thicker when you put the drywall back.

but i'll bet you dollars to donuts that they just laid the drywall over a casing, or over a sill, or over a skirt, or over something else around that old window that they didn't feel like removing.

Brian Effinger
02-14-2011, 9:49 PM
You're correct Brian.

Part of me wants to cut a small hole to see what's there.

What if the studs are thicker for some reason, then I'd have to make them thinner and I"m not sure I could do that.

I wouldn't make them thinner, I'd take them out completely, if that were the case. Then you can replcace them with something thinner.
Also, I wouldn't take that bet from Neal. I've seen windows left in place & just drywalled over.:eek::confused::(

Neal Clayton
02-15-2011, 11:12 AM
yep, on an old wooden double hung you typically have to take the inside stops out to get the interior sill (stool) off. if you don't know the order in which to take it all apart you can prod and pry all day long and not do much damage to any of it. that's what it sounds like to me.