PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good 15" planer?

David Brimm
02-14-2011, 1:39 AM
I noticed a Grizzly planer posted on craigslist upstate of me, is it a good one? Good price?

http://oregoncoast.craigslist.org/tls/2204631641.html

Van Huskey
02-14-2011, 2:28 AM
Pretty hard to formulate much of an informed opinion based on that description. Model number, age and condition are paramount. It is likely a version of the ubiquitous 4 post 15" planer sold in one variety or another by a dozen or so importers over the last couple of decades. The price is a little more than 25% of what it would cost to buy a new Grizzly one shipped, so it may well be an excellent price. If it is one of their very light duty 15" planers like the current G0477 I would be much more dubious about chasing it. You just need some more info at this point.

Peter Quinn
02-14-2011, 6:19 AM
Maybe? The price is nice, It depends on condition. Worth getting more info and maybe a look. Even if it needs am little love at that price ifmthe basics are there and no critical damage I'd consider it.

Cary Falk
02-14-2011, 9:33 AM
Could be a new G0453 or the G1021 with the motor on the bottom and cast iron infeed and out feed table. More thna likely it is a 4 post with the motor on the top, no stand, and roller infeed and outfeed tables. Might be worth a look. If you have any long distance to drive, you might request a better description or picture.

David Brimm
02-14-2011, 9:37 AM
It's about a 6 hour drive north for me if I wanted to see it, maybe I'll email the guy and ask for more info. The harder part would be convincing the LOML of the necessity of a planer.

Van Huskey
02-14-2011, 12:39 PM
It's about a 6 hour drive north for me if I wanted to see it, maybe I'll email the guy and ask for more info. The harder part would be convincing the LOML of the necessity of a planer.

I would definitely get pics or at a VERY minimum get the model number before trekking 6 hours. I always put a price on my time, mileage and obviously gas before going to pick up a machine more than an hour away.

Peter Quinn
02-14-2011, 8:55 PM

Yes, those LOML types generally have trouble understanding the value of a planer, but they almost always understand the value of a quaint B&B on the Oregon coast around Valentines day! I think this is a marketing thing, and you should come quickly to the realization that this planer will cost you more than the asking price. Like, say, add a nights stay at a B&B, some champagne, dinner for two at a quaint country inn, etc......Make it a win-win situation, and suddenly the 6 hour drive to look at a piece of cast iron becomes a romantic get away with a minor wood working indulgence side trip.

Second thought it may become cheaper to stay home and order a brand new one from Grizzly.:eek:

Randy Dutkiewicz
02-14-2011, 9:16 PM
Yes, those LOML types generally have trouble understanding the value of a planer, but they almost always understand the value of a quaint B&B on the Oregon coast around Valentines day! I think this is a marketing thing, and you should come quickly to the realization that this planer will cost you more than the asking price. Like, say, add a nights stay at a B&B, some champagne, dinner for two at a quaint country inn, etc......Make it a win-win situation, and suddenly the 6 hour drive to look at a piece of cast iron becomes a romantic get away with a minor wood working indulgence side trip.

Second thought it may become cheaper to stay home and order a brand new one from Grizzly.:eek:

Hilarious Pete!!!:)

Chip Lindley
02-14-2011, 9:46 PM
The CL posting is from 02/08/11. If the planer was much, I would figure it wayy gone by now at that bottom feeder price! I always have to wonder about postings that do not include photos, but offer them if interested. I guess some are upload-challenged! Get some photos, then decide if it is a basket case or something worth driving 12 hrs. for. Grizzly has been importing 15" planers since the early '80s. As said, the first models had an open stand and top-mount motor.

As to convincing LOML, show her the new Grizz catalog's prices for 15"ers and she may actually enjoy the outing if there is a nice meal attached. B&Bs are for shop additions--something really High Dollar!

David Brimm
02-14-2011, 10:18 PM
Well the LOML was NOT sold on the planer-road-trip idea, oh well maybe next time. She did however tell me I can spend $500 on "tools" once our new house closes escrow so there's a plus I suppose.