PDA

View Full Version : Pucker Factor - my biggest yet

Kathy Marshall
02-14-2011, 12:02 AM
I was trying to decide what to turn today and grabbed a log of Emory Oak (native tree in Arizona) that had a small burl on it. I cut out the cross section that included the burl and popped it on the lathe. Got it roughed and found lots of cracks and a nice little void (small pucker factor). Nice big crack going through the section that will be the tenon (dumped in a ton of medium CA and prayed it would hold).
Turned a little more on the outside to start defining the shape and a nice little chunk came out of the void. Now had a nice little medium sized void (a few more points on the pucker factor).
This is the other side showing the pith and more of the cracks (some went completely through as evidenced by the CA that ended up on the paper towel I put on the bed (lesson learned early on when filling large cracks between centers))
Got the tenon turned and chucked it up. Taped up the outside and started hollowing. Nice little bark inclusion and more of the void (crank up the pucker).
I used a 1" forstner bit to take out the center a little at a time. I drilled in about an inch then hollowed down, then drilled another inch and hollowed down. The bark inclusion was pretty big and the void got bigger and I wanted to leave as much support as I could while I worked my way down.

This is basically the finished product, it's about 5" tall by 3 1/2 wide give or take. I still need to turn a base and I'm going to do a lid also.
It just has a quick coat of DO so far, will start adding WOP tomorrow and hopefully will have it completed for the weekend. I think this piece might end up in the instant gallery at the Desert Woodturning Roundup.

I'm open to suggestions for wood and form for the pedestal base, lid and finial.

Michael James
02-14-2011, 12:07 AM
That looks like it was an exciting project!:eek:
No help here on base and lid, but I really like what you have here. Carry on!
mj

Tim Thiebaut
02-14-2011, 12:21 AM
Wow, not having done any NE forms yet I think I would have been puckering even worse then you! Congrats on getting it turned safely, and on the outcome, it may have had you puckering, but I think the final product was very worth while!

charlie knighton
02-14-2011, 4:52 AM
very nice......enjoy your roundup

John Keeton
02-14-2011, 7:12 AM
Kathy, you did very well getting this one to the finish line! Nice work. Whatever you decide on the base, I would try to transition the top of the base into the lower profile of the form so as not to have an abrupt change. I see the shelf for the lid, and it appears to be fairly deep in the form - into the void. Doing a lid to look right will be challenging. I would consider doing the lid from walnut to give some contrast to the rugged look of the oak, and to pick up on the dark color. Just my thoughts.

Michelle Rich
02-14-2011, 8:32 AM
OMG that is over the top pucker factor. I would have run screaming from my shop & padlocked the door!

David E Keller
02-14-2011, 8:45 AM
Great job tackling a really cool piece of wood! I agree with John's sentiment about a darker color for accents, but I'd consider making the lid out of the same wood(if you've got more of it). I do like the walnut idea for the finial and base.

If you really want a challenge, you could try to match a void in the lid with the void in the side of the form so that you don't have a lid edge crossing the defect. I'm not sure how feasible vs. frustrating that might be, but it's food for thought.

I'm excited to see this piece in its finished state!

bob svoboda
02-14-2011, 9:02 AM
Good job keeping it together, Kathy. That's some pretty wood.

Bernie Weishapl
02-14-2011, 10:43 AM
Michelle that is a beautiful piece and I am guessing the pucker factor was pretty high. Saran wrap works on those types and it works pretty well. I do agree with John on the pedestal. Myself I probably wouldn't put a lid/finial on it but that is just me.

Roger Chandler
02-14-2011, 11:25 AM
Brave lady........that Kathy Marshall! Nice work!

Harry Robinette
02-14-2011, 10:04 PM
Kathy
Really nice piece can't wait to see it finished. I would use the same wood if you have any left.
Harry

Baxter Smith
02-14-2011, 11:05 PM
Very cool looking piece of wood. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Kathy Marshall
02-14-2011, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone!

I started on the pedestal tonight. I'm using walnut since I had enough in spindle blanks to do the pedestal and finial if I go with a lid. The pedestal is pretty simple, just a gradual taper to a teardrop where the pedestal will go into the base. I'm doing the base/pedestal in 2 pieces since I didn't have anything in a large enough diameter and length to do it in 1 piece.
I'm not sure what to do about a lid. I've had several comments on here and on another forum to leave out a lid, but I've already got the shelf cut for it and no way to remove that. I did have a thought about just doing a narrow collar to sit on the shelf (would be attached permanently), this would still allow light to the inside to show the void better. Or I could try making a lid and "making" a void in it to match the void in the piece, I could probably use my dremel tool to make it look as natural as possible. In either case, if I do a lid, it will also be in walnut since I don't have a big enough piece of the oak left.
I may just make up several different lid/collar pieces and just see what works best with it!

Steve Schlumpf
02-15-2011, 7:46 AM
Very interesting turning so far! Working with voids can be exciting!

I like the idea of using a dark wood for pedestal and top. Should bring out the color instead of contrast with it! David's idea of a void in the lid is a good one and worth considering! Hope you get it finished in time for the DWR! Have fun!

Pete Jordan
02-15-2011, 6:20 PM
I used to be brave like you till I got wacked up the side of my head a couple of times!

Be very careful!!