PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Joe Ezell
02-13-2011, 11:15 PM
Just dropping out of the shadows. I have been lurking here for a couple months, reading with great interest all the info the forum provides. I started in woodworking about 15 years ago as an apprentice custom cue maker. Long story, here are the cliff notes. I was in college and hustled pool in the summers to pay for the following years classes. I ordered a custom cue from a local cue maker. When I stopped in to make payments on my road trip rounds I would do some odd jobs...sweep the floor take out the trash etc. One thing led to another and I ended up working with him in the evenings after class. Two years later and my grades in the tank, my parents said build cues or go to school….I chose school and got my degree. After I got out of college a few of my old running buddies kept pestering me to build a cue. Fast forward to today $100K worth of equipment and a shop full of wood later. I am a part time cue builder and full time sales manager. I would put a link to a few pics but am not up to speed on the forum rules yet.

Last year I got the hankering to work in the flat. Started with a very bad chop saw and discovered old hand tools...OOPS!! I now build a few small side tables, am trying to hand cut dove tails that don’t look like a beavers chewed them and using hand planes. It truly is a SLIPPERY slope. I buy a few tools from Patrick and Josh . I am a user not a collector ( yeah right). Along the lines of collector, I frequent a few local ANTEECK malls and the occasional weekend flea market.

george wilson
02-13-2011, 11:33 PM
Welcome to the forum. There's a guy building high dollar cues in Richmond,Va. I met him a few years ago.

Johnny Kleso
02-14-2011, 12:57 AM
Welcome to the Slope..

Jim Koepke
02-14-2011, 2:50 AM
Joe,

Welcome to the Creek and jump right in.

The last time I had a pool cue in my hands it wasn't for shooting pool. The company that employed me bought inexpensive break down cues for our tool kits. We would put a mop head on the end for cleaning out the glass cylinders in large blue printing machines.

I made more money doing that than I ever could shooting pool.

jtk

Will Boulware
02-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Welcome! Care to post some pictures of your work? (cues and flatwork) Everyone likes pictures. :D

Jim Koepke
02-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Everyone likes pictures.

Not everyone likes pictures, Some of us LOVE pictures!:D

jtk

Joe Ezell
02-14-2011, 1:27 PM
Not a problem, here ya go.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/members/excue-albums-shop.html

http://www.f150online.com/forums/members/excue-albums-cues.html

Thanks for the welcome,

JE

John Sanford
02-14-2011, 1:45 PM
Welcome aboard Joe. I remember seeing your stuff over there at F150, when I was asking some Q's about a truck I was planning on getting. I couldn't make the deal on the truck happen, sigh, so sad.

Klaus Kretschmar
02-14-2011, 4:00 PM
Wow, Joe, that´s amazing. Your cues are true works of art! The machinery you own is rather impressive, too.

Regards
Klaus

john brenton
02-14-2011, 4:05 PM
The tidiness of the shop is awe inspiring. I have about 1/16 of the tools, but 10x the mess.

Wow, Joe, that´s amazing. Your cues are true works of art! The machinery you own is rather impressive, too.

Regards
Klaus

Lee Bidwell
02-15-2011, 10:57 AM
Hey Joe. Greetings from up the road in Jackson. Welcome to the Creek. It's good to see another Mississippian here.

Lee

Joe Ezell
02-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Klaus, thank you.means a lot coming from you. The saws you and Pedder put out are works of art as well!!

John, LOL...I must confess it was de-funked for the photos. It is generally a little more "hectic" than that.

Lee, wow!! Good to know another woodworker is so close. In this part of the country it does seem we are few and far between.

Adam Hood
02-25-2011, 9:11 PM
Hey that shop looks familiar. How's everything been Joe? I bought myself a Jet lathe and have started turning pens. It has been an itch ever since hanging out in your shop, haha. Still have the cue stick BTW, the ostrich wrap is holding up well.

gary Zimmel
02-26-2011, 10:53 AM
Welcome to Creek Joe. Sweet looking cues.

Steve Branam
02-26-2011, 1:48 PM
I was a little perplexed by all the fancy milling machines in the shop until I saw the photos of the cues, that's some awesome inlay! Plus, you could probably stop the Terminator with that equipment!