PDA

View Full Version : View From the Cockpit of an Historic Airplane

Jim Koepke
02-13-2011, 8:01 PM
This will give a person the ability to see a all around view of the Enola Gay's cockpit. Just click and drag in any direction.

http://www.davidpalermo.com/data/slideshow/4/enolagay/index.html

jtk

Raymond Fries
02-13-2011, 8:19 PM
Nice - Thanks for sharing. Someday I want to go to one of those museums.

Jim Rimmer
02-13-2011, 8:31 PM
Amazing. Leaves me with a lot of questions. :confused: Those seats don't look very comfortable. I guess they carried their own cushions, but still........

Thanks for posting the link.

David G Baker
02-14-2011, 12:02 AM
My SO was inside of the Enola Gay just prior to it leaving the bone-yard in Arizona for the Smithsonian. She paid $2 for a rivet from the plane as a souvenir.

John Fabre
02-14-2011, 12:58 AM
That was amazing, thanks.

Norman Hitt
02-14-2011, 1:18 AM
Amazing. Leaves me with a lot of questions. :confused: Those seats don't look very comfortable. I guess they carried their own cushions, but still........

Thanks for posting the link.

Their Parachutes were the cushions & you will notice that the seats have a dished out space in both the seat's bottom and backrest, framed by metal that was to keep the two parachute packs aligned on the seat base and backrest. Most, if not all of the older military plane seats were like this before the days of ejection capsules, (ie: B-58 Hustler) and ejection seats in fighters. When I was stationed at Lowry AFB in Denver, my wife worked for a company located at Stapleton Airport that designed and built the ejection capsule.

C Scott McDonald
02-14-2011, 11:33 AM
Thats neat thanks for sharing. I have seen two B-29's the one down at Pima Air Muesum in Tucson and one in a muesum in Pueblo Colorado. They are so cool to see in person.

Jim Koepke
02-14-2011, 3:09 PM
I kind of liked the insignia on the yoke.

Glad others also enjoyed this.

jtk