PDA

View Full Version : A birdhouse on Henry Lauder's walking stick

Curt Fuller
02-13-2011, 4:31 PM
I don't know who Henry Lauder is (or was) but I have a bush in my yard called "Henry Lauder's Walking Stick" and the limbs are all twisted and contorted. These multiple axis spindles remind me of them. The birdhouse is Maple, the stick and finial are Padauk. The spindle work was done between centers, changing the axis every so often. It's kind of nerve wracking and I broke two before I got one as long as I wanted. It's about 15" tall to the tip.

Roger Chandler
02-13-2011, 4:46 PM
Very unique and well done, Curt!

John Keeton
02-13-2011, 4:47 PM
Curt, that is wild looking!!! Looks mystical and mythical!! I can't imagine trying to turn one of these - has to be challenging - but, well worth it. So very unique!

Steve Mawson
02-13-2011, 4:49 PM
Now that is a neat bird house. Never seen one like this before, is it an original??:cool::cool:

Steve Schlumpf
02-13-2011, 5:16 PM
Curt - brought a big smile to my face! Love it!

Jason Silva
02-13-2011, 6:12 PM
This has got to be one of the coolest birdhouses i have ever seen. WELL DONE! Im going to have to give this a try. I make bird houses for my mom every year. This is a great idea.

philip labre
02-13-2011, 6:27 PM
Excellent piece. I love the whimsy of it. Great example of multi axis turning.

Tim Thiebaut
02-13-2011, 6:32 PM
This is absolutly the best one yet without a doubt!

Pete Jordan
02-13-2011, 7:21 PM
Curt, I am really enjoying this series!!!

Thom Sturgill
02-13-2011, 7:39 PM
Very cool. I've done one or two minor muti-axis turnings, so I know hard nerve wracking they can be, Never attempted something so long though. Great job.

Jeff Nicol
02-13-2011, 7:45 PM
Curt, Very cool creation! I love the stem and finial, what a great "Twist" on the "Stick" and blob on the top style turnings that have been popular of late.

Keepp the good work!

Jeff

David E Keller
02-13-2011, 7:47 PM
Never heard of the bush, but if it's half as cool as that birdhouse, I may have to check into getting one planted around here. I love the multi-axis look especially the finial. Great job!

Bernie Weishapl
02-13-2011, 7:47 PM
That is just to cool Curt. Unique and different. Nicely done.

Steve Vaughan
02-13-2011, 7:54 PM
Curt, that is really cool looking! Love it!

Baxter Smith
02-13-2011, 7:59 PM
Looks a little shaky to me. Hope you can find a bird that will trust it! VERY NEAT!

Michael James
02-13-2011, 8:41 PM
Too much Curt! Methinks you have a thing for birds.... you build excellent looking abodes for them! Streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetch the ol envelope... Keem em coming!
mj

David DeCristoforo
02-13-2011, 9:06 PM
What a delightful piece of work! It makes me think of that nursery rhyme about the crooked man who lived in a little crooked house. I'm smiling!

Paul Douglass
02-13-2011, 9:32 PM
Okay am I the only one that sees a dog sitting at the base?? Really cool!

David E Keller
02-13-2011, 9:49 PM
Okay am I the only one that sees a dog sitting at the base?? Really cool!

Looks like a gorilla to me...

Michelle Rich
02-14-2011, 8:29 AM
WOW the "offset" spindle work is astounding. it really makes this birdhouse SING! What a challenge. Great piece!

Dan Carroll
02-14-2011, 11:28 AM
I don't know who Henry Lauder is (or was) but I have a bush in my yard called "Henry Lauder's Walking Stick" and the limbs are all twisted and contorted. These multiple axis spindles remind me of them. The birdhouse is Maple, the stick and finial are Padauk. The spindle work was done between centers, changing the axis every so often. It's kind of nerve wracking and I broke two before I got one as long as I wanted. It's about 15" tall to the tip.

Harry Lauder was an entertainer in the 1920's - 1940s. He was Scots and used to appear on stage with a walking stick that was twisted in just about every direction. "Harry Lauder Walkering Stick" is a varity of hawthorn.

bob svoboda
02-14-2011, 11:37 AM
Another vote for Gorilla....Very nice, Curt.

Kelvin Burton
02-14-2011, 1:47 PM
I don't know who Henry Lauder is (or was) but I have a bush in my yard called "Henry Lauder's Walking Stick" and the limbs are all twisted and contorted.

This tree is also called Contorted Filbert & Harry Lauder's Walking Stick. Sir Harry Lauder (1870-1950) was a Scot & a leading music hall entertainer who sang lovely ballads & told jokes on himself. He was greatly beloved in his day, & was knighted by King George V for service to the country in the first World War, wherein his only son was killed.

American soldiers were entertained by Lauder during the war & afterward he toured America where he gained a considerable following. He was briefly a film star in the early 1930s. Yet he's not well remembered now, & the tree baring his name is increasingly just called Corkscrew Hazel, though more than an occasional home owner has been known to give their corkscrew the pet name Harry.

His signature song "Roamin' in the Gloamin'" is still well known, though many mistake it for a folk tune when in fact Sir Harry wrote it. The lasting image of the tight-fisted Scot with a twisted walking cane — originated by Lauder & imitated by many a stage & film comedian, including Danny Kaye — has outlasted Lauder's international fame, to the annoyance of some Scots who've wearied of the stereotype. You can read more about the tree here. (http://www.paghat.com/hazelcatkins.html)

David Gaab
02-14-2011, 1:58 PM
Definately a dog.

And definately the coolest birdhouse I have seen. Thank you for sharing. I find many birdhouses too ornate, but the offset turning brings this one right back to nature. I love it.