PDA

View Full Version : new bench...new shop

Mark Baldwin III
02-13-2011, 3:14 PM
Since I'm bored...due to my car being disabled by vandals...I decided to start getting the new shop area set up in the spare bedroom. First pic is my tools waiting to be organized into their new home. Next is my freshly installed LV inset vise. And third is a general overall view.

Mark Baldwin III
02-13-2011, 3:18 PM
Vise and dog holes...
The bench is a Diefenbach trestle with an 5'x2' oak slab for a top. It's not the ideal top, but it fits my budget and will get me down the road. I can make a new one later and apply lessons learned. I think I will add more holes and an LV surface vise.

Will Boulware
02-14-2011, 10:09 AM
I like it! good use of space!

Jim Neeley
02-14-2011, 5:41 PM
Nice work, Mark...

Mark Baldwin III
02-14-2011, 8:34 PM
Thanks, guys! The next step is to add an apron to the bench and mount the face vise on the left end. From there it's another set of holes. I'm working on a chisel rack at the moment. It will be pretty simple. The goal of the chisel rack is to practice good saw cuts, dados, and shoulders. Basically, each little project I work on right now is to just practice a couple of skills at a time that I will need for the larger projects planned for this year.

Klaus Kretschmar
02-15-2011, 3:48 AM
Nice shop there, Mark. I can see it growing ... BTW, a large beast of Krenov jointer you´ve there in progress!

Klaus

Mark Baldwin III
02-15-2011, 6:39 AM
Nice shop there, Mark. I can see it growing ... BTW, a large beast of Krenov jointer you´ve there in progress!

Klaus

Thanks, Klaus. The jointer is 24". Wait til you see the iron! It's a monster. I wanted that plane to be done already, but life has a way of getting crazy sometimes.