PDA

View Full Version : Identify a brace?

Mark Baldwin III
02-13-2011, 12:59 PM
This is a brace that used to belong to my Grampa. It's seen better days, and appears to have a repair or two. It is perfectly functional, though. It is a Miller's Falls, but I don't know what model. Sweep is 14", wood appears to be a type of rosewood, it's ratcheting as well. I'm thinking it could be somewhere in the Model 60 area?? The chuck has "PAT FEBY 18 1890" on it.

Mike Holbrook
02-13-2011, 1:58 PM
I would guess it is one of the Millers Falls 73? series, maybe a 730-731 (14-12" sweep). Between the Barber and Holdall chuck development there seem to have been quite a few different chuck exterior housings. The Miller Falls Home>Braces>Old Tool Heaven> 710.... on Old Tool Heaven has more information. The early braces of this series were made from 1907-1922. I think you would be looking for a brace date later than the original patent date. I see no mention of the 60 series braces ever having enclosed ratcheting systems, nor do I see enclosed systems on the 71-193 series braces. I think the enclosed systems like on your brace were sort of the beginning of the Holdall & Lion Chucks.

Andrae Covington
02-13-2011, 3:49 PM
The February 18, 1890 patent (http://www.google.com/patents?id=j3NCAAAAEBAJ&zoom=4&pg=PA1#v=onepage&q&f=false) is for William McCoy's addition of a spring to Charles Amidon's jaws.

I have a hard time nailing down Millers Falls braces if the model number isn't clearly stamped, because they made so many different kinds with very similar features. I always start with the shape of the chuck housing, then the ratchet. This one has the "bulbous" chuck so I'm pretty sure that rules out the Holdall and certainly the Lion chucks.

It could be a No. 30 from the 30 - 34 series, seen on this page (http://www.oldtoolheaven.com/brace/brace1.htm). The series was started in 1874 but the 14 inch began production in 1885. This one would of course be no earlier than 1890 when the McCoy spring was added. It appears to be a fully boxed ratchet so that would place it no earlier than 1905. It does not have a steel-clad head, so no later than 1935.

At least according to their info, there never was a No. 60 which would have been a 14-inch version. The 61 - 63 braces have half-boxed ratchets.

Another possibility, the No. 120, on this page (http://www.oldtoolheaven.com/brace/brace2.htm). The 14-inch dates from 1912 and by then that series had a fully boxed ratchet and spring-type alligator jaws. Production ended in 1919.

Mark Baldwin III
02-13-2011, 4:34 PM
Thanks guys! I can't see a clear model number on the chuck...well if I could, why would I ask? I had a hard time matching it up with the different models on Old Tool Haven. It's older than I expected. It appears that it would have been my great-Grampa's, or my Grampa got it used at some point.

Jim Koepke
02-13-2011, 5:15 PM
Thanks guys! I can't see a clear model number on the chuck...

I think the model number is usually on the swing arm.

jtk

Mike Holbrook
02-13-2011, 9:14 PM
I missed a couple enclosed ratchet systems there. Still the patent information on these drills is typically a much earlier date than the date the brace was built and the patent information was frequently used until the patent date expired. It takes a while for patents to go through and they are given for some time period. Patent dates on my MF Lion chuck are 190?, 1909,1910. According to the MF info Lion chucks first went into production in 1914. The chuck housing is the last thing I use for identification. I have a MF 1710 (clearly marked on the arm) that has what looks like an identical chuck housing to the one on your brace, manufacture date 1935-after 1981. The picture of the chuck housing for the 1710 on the MF site is very different than the actual chuck on my brace. My 1710 looks like your brace with the exception of the enclosed ratchet on yours.

Mark Baldwin III
02-13-2011, 10:04 PM
I think the model number is usually on the swing arm.

jtk

I did an up close inspection of the arm after you posted this, I found what might have been a mark, but it has been obscured.

Mike- Looking at the pictures has proved deceiving. That's kind of what you're saying, isn't it? There are a few that resemble mine. Finding out that the age of the brace is older/younger than what I expect will not be a disappointment to me. It was my Grampa's and that's what matters. I really enjoy the history aspect of some of these older tools. I had figured that it was made post 1945 and pre 1970. When I saw such an old patent date, it kind of threw me for a loop...as putting 1890 on a tool made in 1950 or 1960 would seem a little strange.

Mark Baldwin III
02-13-2011, 10:19 PM
And another thing...Would anyone be able to show a picture of a ratchet that is not fully enclosed? For my own education, I'd like to see the difference. I'm sure it's blatantly obvious, but this is the only brace I've ever held in my hands, so I'm quite ignorant on the topic.

Mike Holbrook
02-14-2011, 10:39 AM
Hi again Mark,
Right, I find the pictures can lead one astray. The patent dates can also be confusing, although I can not give you some sort of mathematical formula for using them. I don't think there is a set way to estimate a braces age with the patent dates, although one might be able to guess at a range, especially if you find the actual patent. These patents and their relative effectiveness present some fascinating history.

Regarding closed & open ratchets... Case in point, I just won a brace at action, listed as "Antique Peck Stow & Wilcox Hand Brace 7010", it is in working condition but has lots of rust & "patina". The # 7010 being the only identifying mark I have found on the brace so far. I found it interesting because most/all? of the braces of this type I have seen had open ratchets, whereas mine is enclosed. The little history I know would suggest this brace came into being just before PS&W came out with their Samson chuck which was the equivalent of the Millers Falls Lion chuck but predated it.

I am fascinated with the mechanical ratcheting systems on braces & drills. I have: several North Bros./Stanley 1530 ,a 1545 and a MF 980 drills that take this technology to the extreme. PS&W seems to have been a major contributor to this technology. I grew very curious about a very distinctive chuck design that was largely unique to their braces. I do not have access to good information on Peck, Stow & Wilcox which I believe changed their tool names to Pexto later in their history. Apparently the original company was formed around 1870 and survived as a major player until being bought by Billings & Spencer circa 1950. Apparently Millers Falls hmm.."borrowed" some of their brace technology from PS&W. PS&W claimed, in at least one of their catalogs, to have made the first "brace made in American in 1850". The brace I have is the "spitting" image of the Millers Falls #1052 (1925 catalog), even has the enclosed ratchet. The MF 1050 > 1054 series of braces are listed as having been made from 1923-1929, this is the only brace I have found in the Millers Falls long list of braces to have had the long, unique chuck that was the PS&W standard chuck for a large part of their history, at least until they came out with the Sampson chuck. An interesting piece of information from the Millers Falls Bit Braces page..."In 1915, the company published Millers Falls Tools Catalogue No. 35. Within its pages were one hundred thirty-five variations on the hand brace—an astounding figure when you consider the basic simplicity of the tool." My curiosity reaches a peak concerning the period in history when the ratcheting systems became enclosed. I wonder if these mechanical systems were enclosed to protect them from the elements or to protect the technology from prying, competitive eyes at other companies. The inside of the chucks also became a competitive, mechanical battleground. The famous Stanley, Bell System 2100 series of braces borrowed much of their technology from PS&W & MF Sampson & Lion chucks and ratchet systems. An argument can certainly be made for labeling, PS&W braces with the Sampson chucks & enclosed ratcheting system, the mother of the best braces ever made.

So to answer Mark's specific question about closed vs open ratchets, Find the Millers Falls 1050 > 1054 series of braces and look at the illustration appearing with them (enclosed system, identical to my 7010 PS&W ?). Now look at the illustration with the 1320 > 1324 series of braces just below the 1050...series, at the point where the chuck makes a 90 degree turn up to the ratcheting mechanism (see the exposed tooth like mechanism). Looking above the 1050...series to the 870...series of braces (see again a closed ratchet system and the patented MF Lion chuck).

Andrae Covington
02-14-2011, 10:31 PM
And another thing...Would anyone be able to show a picture of a ratchet that is not fully enclosed? For my own education, I'd like to see the difference. I'm sure it's blatantly obvious, but this is the only brace I've ever held in my hands, so I'm quite ignorant on the topic.

Examples of half-boxed and full-boxed ratchets. I don't have a concealed ratchet example.

Mike Holbrook
02-15-2011, 12:57 AM
Cool the actual braces (or close), with illustrations yet.

Mike Holbrook
02-18-2011, 11:31 PM
Ooops, wrong picture the first time, lets try again...

Here is a picture of a few Chuck types. The top brace (MF 1710) is the only one with an open ratchet.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16891057@N05/5457847698/

Mark Baldwin III
02-19-2011, 8:03 AM
Thanks. The pics help. Who ever said these were simple tools? ;) I think I'll spend a little more time looking at them on Old Tool Haven. I've been turned on to a couple of antique stores in the area that are supposed to have lots of tools. It would be nice to walk in with a bit of education and see if I might be able to pluck a diamond from the sand. Or at least pluck a unique tool out of a pile of junk.

Dan Andrews
02-19-2011, 12:14 PM
I believe Marks brace is a No. 30A. I will stick my neck out a bit and say I think it is 1910-1913. The 30's series in the age of rosewood are my favorite braces of all time. They look and work splendidly.