PDA

View Full Version : Minimax FS 35 Technical Help Needed

Joel Spencer
02-13-2011, 12:22 PM
Greetings,

Does anyone have pictures or technical specs that they can share with me regarding the chuck on this machine? The folks at Mini-Max were of no help.

For those not familiar with the FS-350, it is a combination Jointe/planer with a bed almost 14" wide. A great machine and it has the option for a mortising attachment which is the source of my problem. My machine is a late 80's vintage (ugly yellow paint) and although it has the mortising attachment bought used), it did not include the chuck/collet to hold an end mill. All I have is a hole in the end of the cutterhead that looks like it held the chuck at one time.

To explain a bit, he machine has a mortising attachment with everything but the chuck (perhaps it is supposed to have a collet??). It appears that a chuck would be located on the end of the cutter head. On the end of the cutter head is a machined part that has a hole about 15.7mm in diameter and about 35mm deep and I believe the hole is tapered. It also has two set screws that could be used to secure a shaft if it was inserted into the above hole. I am guessing that a tapered shaft goes in this hole and then a chuck fits on the other end of the shaft.

Any help with information or leads on where to go for information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joel Spencer

Ken Fitzgerald
02-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Joel,

I can't help you but did you try the Mini-Max Users Forum or the OWWM forum?

Joel Spencer
02-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Ken,

Thanks for the reply. I did post on the Mini-max User forum. Did not try OWWM.....I would like to think that it is too "new" for OWWM, but maybe I'm kidding myself. I'll give it a try as well.

Thanks.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Joel....you did see the manual for the FS-35 under discontinued manuals didn't you?

Good luck! That looks like a great machine! I sure like my MM-16.

Chris Fournier
02-13-2011, 1:13 PM
SCM Group USA should be able to help you out. The chuck at the end of your cutter head is referred to as "Wescott chuck". It's a simple affair that tightens with an allen key and the two jaws are activated at the same time. SCM Groups sells these chucks for under $200 CDN.

http://www.scmgroup-usa.com/services.html

Joel Spencer
02-13-2011, 6:32 PM
Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I did contact the tech help at SCMI and they could offer no help. Perhaps they do not have any documentation for my 20 year old machine.