PDA

View Full Version : 1 1/2 shaper help

michael gates
02-13-2011, 8:10 AM
Sorry if this has been beatin to death, I have been searching but cant find the specific answer Im looking for.

I need to know if a 1 1/2 shaper will raise a panel in softwood in one pass, Or if it will out perform a 3.5 router for raising panels.

Thanks

Kirk Poore
02-13-2011, 11:16 AM
Do you mean a 1-1/2 hp shaper? If so, the answers would be Maybe and Yes. A 3-1/2 hp router, running on 120V power, doesn't really have 3-1/2 hp except when the spindle is virtually stopped, and thus not cutting--and it will pop the breaker too (see many threads on universal motors). The shaper will be be able to put out full power while cutting, be more rigid, and almost certainly be able to take a deeper cut.

Kirk

david brum
02-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Your question got me curious. I have a 1 1/2hp Jet shaper. I use an Amana cutterhead with HSS knives (great way to gets lots of cutters cheaply). I had bought a pair of panel raising knives but hadn't tried them yet. I just went down to the shop to see what would happen. On the 3/4" pine board that I tried, the shaper didn't show any sign of difficulty with a full depth cut.

I suspect that a 3 1/2hp router wouldn't have any trouble either. A shaper sure is quieter though. As another plus on the shaper side, the surface quality from these HSS cutters is really clean, literally ready to finish.

BTW, I wouldn't take a bite this big without a stock feeder. I have a "baby feeder" on mine, which is a good match with a 1 1/2hp shaper.

glenn bradley
02-13-2011, 12:09 PM
Sounds like you are looking for something to do production runs. I would say a shaper is better suited to this hands down. !-1/2 HP is probably OK. I would make sure you have a good variable range on your feeder in case you need to slow down some.

Randy Henry
02-13-2011, 2:12 PM
I have a 5hp PM and use carbide Freeborn cutters. As this setup will take it all off in one pass, I never do it. I find that if I take 3/4 off on the first pass, and the final 1/4 is taken off on the second pass, the cuts and lines turn out noticeably better.

Paul Symchych
02-13-2011, 3:27 PM
A 1 1/2hp Jet shaper I recently acquired cut rails and stiles in some incredibly hard hickory heartwood in one pass with no trouble. It had plenty of power. Griz cutters worked fine. I have not tried raised panels. Best guess is that it would raise a panel in softwood in one cut fairly easily as far as power goes but doing it in two passes may give you a cleaner cut.

Rob Haskell
02-13-2011, 4:51 PM
My 1 1/2 Jet shaper has a tough time with a raised panel, i would go a little bit by bit and the going was slow. The Delta shaper
with a 3 hp which I got recently does a competent job. Your big router would work fine, it might not be as safe as a shaper
depending on your setup. Be careful.

michael gates
02-13-2011, 6:17 PM
My router is a festool of 2200 in a table, It definitely doesn't perform to what I need. You are right about popping breakers, thats the main problem. I have a chance to buy a 1.5 hp shaper dirt cheap. I will be buying a 5 hp shaper this summer. I am looking to find something to hold me over until then. I do small production and I do have a power feeder as well.

david brum
02-13-2011, 7:39 PM
Michael, I also got my 1 1/2hp shaper at a price I couldn't refuse. From what I'd read, I didn't expect much out of the machine. I have to say that I've actually been really pleased with the power and performance. So much better than a router. The table could be bigger, but that can be worked around with outfeed rollers,etc.

I think these things are like hybrid table saws, where they may not be as solid and powerful as cabinet saws, but will generally get the job done.