PDA

View Full Version : Ca anyone suggest a finish for white oak

Brian Deakin
02-13-2011, 4:01 AM
I am in the process of building a desk for my daughter can anyone one suggest a finish for white oak
regards
Brian

ken gibbs
02-13-2011, 6:16 AM
1. Use oil based "Pecan" stain.
2. Dilute oil based urethane diluted 50%. Light sand between coats. Use 0000 steel wool between 9th and 10th coats.
3. 12 to 15 coats of diluted urethane should give you a fantastic finish.

You get a finish that won't show water stains & you can buff and recoat if you get nasty scratches.

Peter Quinn
02-13-2011, 8:21 AM
Check out FWW this month for an easy wipe on finish schedule spelled out very clearly that works well with brown to dark woods like white oak. If its QSWO a dye stain can help pop the figure before application of a finish or beneath a pigment stain for contrast. At work zar's Teak stain is quite popular for white oak flooring to give it a medium brown push.

Mark Blatter
02-13-2011, 9:49 AM
I have not had a chance to try it yet, but have been wanting to try using the ammonia fumed process. It gives the oak a great color, then you can cover with your favorite top coat, such as shellac. I am told that it isn't difficult to do.

Do a search for it and you will find many articles explaining how to do it.

Rick Gooden
02-13-2011, 10:08 AM
Potassium Dichromate gives a beautifully aged look, is very easy to apply, and use the topcoat of your choice. Works with mahogany, cherry, walnut, and oak. Can be found @: Shellac.net

Ron Jackson
02-13-2011, 10:13 AM
It might help us if you could briefly describe whether or not there is a particular "style" that your following with construction i.e. "Mission", "Traditional", "Shaker", "Southwestern", etc. In addition, you might describe whether the material you're using is quarter-sawn, rift-sawn, or flat-sawn white oak. Are you looking for a particular shade or color that will blend with other existing furniture or do you plan to make additional pieces in the future that will match the desk ? I know that it sounds like it's getting awfully complicated, but these are things you need to consider, and that will help the experienced finishers on this forum be able to address your questions. With a little more information, I'm sure you will receive many, many recipes and finishing schedules from this knowledgable group. Don't be intimidated by the complexity, and good luck with the project.

scott vroom
02-13-2011, 2:40 PM
I too am building a white oak desk top. I had planned to stain a shade of brown that complimented the wood floors, fill with a clear filler, finish with multiple coats of GF clear enduro poly. To me, filling is important since the desk will be a writing surface.