PDA

View Full Version : Lee Valley Japanese Dovetail Chisel's

Adam Cormier
02-12-2011, 11:35 PM
Hey guys,

I am trying to sharpen my brand new chisels from Lee Valley, here is the link:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=54872&cat=1,41504

I have the Veritas MKII honing guide. Well, it doesn't appear that the fixed angle settings work with this set up. Does anyone know the bevel angle for these? I don't have a protractor in my shop.

Thanks for any help.

John Coloccia
02-13-2011, 12:27 AM
Just adjust it so the bevel is laying flat. It doesn't matter if it's not absolutely perfect. In fact, I usually ignore the bevel that comes on my chisels and irons, and just set it to the bevel that I want. Anyhow, once you have the bevel you want, take a piece of plywood, butt the guide up to the plywood with the chisel resting on top, and glue a little strip of wood to the plywood, up against the edge of the blade. Next time, you can use this little jig to set the projection of the blade to precisely reproduce this angle. For a micro-bevel, I usually just stick an extra piece of wood between the blade and the stop, maybe around 1/16" or 1/8".

Stuart Tierney
02-13-2011, 4:27 AM
Just for reference, the bevel is a nominal 30 degrees, but because they are done by hand, you may find a little variance. One 6mm wide one I have here (NOT from Lee Valley*) is closer to 35 degrees than 30.

There is also a very slight taper on the blade, wider from tip to handle, to reduce the chance they get jammed in somewhere. Only slight, but it might also cause some fits when trying to make them work with the Mk. II.

I think the roller set in the middle, the stop set on the red hole for 45* would have been closest. If it worries you, pick an angle and grind to it on your stones. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

(* If anyone asks, mine's a pimped out one with a witch hazel handle and hammered iron hoop. ;) )

Robert Trotter
02-13-2011, 6:48 AM
If the bevel is around the angle you want (say 30 degrees) then just free hand it. With a Japanese chisel the bevel face is rather wide and has a good purchase on the stone unless you are working with a 3mm or something like that. You put your fingers or your thumb over the back, above the bevel, forcing it flat onto the stone and just pull it or push it one direction with the tip trailing. Lift and come back. Just support the rest of the chisel lightly with the other fingers. Thumb for pushing - fingers for pulling. There might be some who say it has to be a certain way but try both and what is comortable for you and keeps the bevel in full contact with the stone, then that is what is right for you. Try it and see how it goes. Once it is sharpened up, then try it. if it loses its edge quickly then maybe try a steeper angle. You can probably try the above with the bevel angle it comes with.

Anyway have a go.

Rob

Gil Knowles
02-13-2011, 12:53 PM
Adam
I have the 6mm dovetail chisel from LV and it came with the bevel at 35 degrees.
It is a very nice chisel and takes a good edge. I have the LV MK. 11 honing guide but I sharpened this chisel free hand.
Gil

Adam Cormier
02-13-2011, 1:19 PM
Wow, you guys are great! So much help and so quickly too. You were all right. The larger chisels were all 30 degrees and Gil hit it with the 6mm, 35 degrees. I think I was just nervous giving these fancy chisels their first hone. It turned out great though. It was a bit finicky with the MKII honing guide but I do give thumbs up to the guide for flat chisels and the planer blades, it worked so great. They are now all razor sharp.