PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Deer skin

Steve Kothig
02-12-2011, 11:26 PM
Hello everyone, Let me first say that I'm a big fan of you all. I stop in on the weekend looking forward to the post. I enjoy seeing the creative uses of what you do with your lasers and admire your workmanship. I've worked with so many materials from stone to woods to glass and have always succeed in great looking pces. Even on leather one can create some fantasize effects, but when I work on deer skin I have a problem.
I have a customer that had me 4 months ago sample etch deer skin that he makes gloves out of. I added a western scene that came out great until you touched it. The deer skin became smudged and the image was ruin. The etch was not deep, but I did get a dark tone which looked great. My first disappointment. I moved on and had forgot about this problem until just this week when my client called me and wants me to have another run at this problem. Does anyone have a technic that can help me. I searched the site looking for an answer but can up short, so if anyone has a tip or two. I'd appreciate the advise,
Thanks in advance.

Mike Null
02-13-2011, 4:08 AM
Steve

Try using some household cleaner like Mr. Clean diluted with water and with a rag dab the engraved area. That should remove the residue which is loose and will smudge. Some have used diluted hand cleaner.

Don't rub--just dab.

Steve Kothig
02-13-2011, 12:51 PM
Thanks Mike, is this common for deer skin, or can one treat the deer skin before etching to reduce residue?

Steve

Mike Null
02-13-2011, 3:38 PM
Steve

It is common for all leathers I have engraved. It is the engraving residue from the burnt hide. A very gentle rubbing may also remove some marks just outside the engraved area. Depending on the surface and whether it's my own product I will apply neutral paste wax to the surface before engraving.

Sometimes an artists brush is better for small areas than a rag.

I suggest you do some testing on scraps with various cleaners and waxes including mineral spirits.