PDA

View Full Version : Computer hardware hookup question

Lee Schierer
01-17-2005, 12:49 PM
I have a Gateway computer at work. Recently the power supply died and I decided to add a CD burner when I replaced the power supply. The old CD reader is a 4X Toshiba. It also has a 3-1/2 floppy drive and an Iomega 100 zip drive installed. The Hard drive was upgraded to a Seagate 8 gig and a Promise IDE card was inserted in the PCI slot to handle the larger hard drive instead of the mother board.

Here's my question... With the Primary IDE on teh mother board empty, the two CD drives hooked up to the secondary IDE on the mother board as master & slave, the hard drive on the primary IDE of the Promise card and the floppy to the floppy controller on the mother board. Where do I hook up the zip drive?? I tried it as a slave on the same cable as the hard drive and the computer won't boot. I put it in the secondary slot on the promise card as a master, but the computer can't access it even though it shows up in explorer and in the System Device manager. Should it be master or slave?

Chuck Wintle
01-17-2005, 1:41 PM
Lee,
What do you have on the Primary IDE? If I read your post correctly it was occupied by the hard drive? Maybe put the 2 cd rom drives on the primary and the zip on the secondary?

Peter Stahl
01-17-2005, 8:22 PM
I have a Gateway computer at work. Recently the power supply died and I decided to add a CD burner when I replaced the power supply. The old CD reader is a 4X Toshiba. It also has a 3-1/2 floppy drive and an Iomega 100 zip drive installed. The Hard drive was upgraded to a Seagate 8 gig and a Promise IDE card was inserted in the PCI slot to handle the larger hard drive instead of the mother board.

Here's my question... With the Primary IDE on teh mother board empty, the two CD drives hooked up to the secondary IDE on the mother board as master & slave, the hard drive on the primary IDE of the Promise card and the floppy to the floppy controller on the mother board. Where do I hook up the zip drive?? I tried it as a slave on the same cable as the hard drive and the computer won't boot. I put it in the secondary slot on the promise card as a master, but the computer can't access it even though it shows up in explorer and in the System Device manager. Should it be master or slave?

Lee,

I tried to get a promise IDE card to work but couldn't get it reconize my old hard drive either. I put my zip type drive on the promise card and have a new Harddrive as the boot drive and use my old harddrive as the slave on the PC Mother board. Don't have any regular floppy drives, have one of those LS-120 drives that will read floppies or 120 mb disks the size of floppies. The setup I had before adding the new drive was Harddrive and LS-120 on the Primary IDE cable and the CD Burner (Sony I installed) and the original CD/DCD reader on the Secondary IDE cable. My be somthing with the type of Harddrives and the Promise card used, don't remember which one I have off hand. Maybe Brian Austin, Don Abele or one of our many resident experts will chime in. You may also need to jumper your zip drive or change you BIOS to get it to work. Don't remember exactly what I did and I'm at work so I can't check.

Pete

Lee Schierer
01-18-2005, 11:20 AM
Okay, I played with a combination of setups. Here's what I have at the moment. The hard drive is on the primary of the promise IDE card as master. The CD burner is on the secondary of the promise card as master and the Iomega zip drive is on the promise secondary ide as a slave. The CD reader is on the motherboard secondary IDE on cable select. Everything shows up in the device manager and in explorer, but I cannot actually access the zip drive. It fails to read any disk I put in it and it won't eject the disk using the button on the front, but it will eject using the eject command from explorer. Both CD drives work fine and the computer boots up just fine.

Chuck Wintle
01-18-2005, 11:48 AM
Lee,
Just curious as to what you have connected on the motherboard Primary IDE?

Lee Schierer
01-18-2005, 12:27 PM
Lee,
Just curious as to what you have connected on the motherboard Primary IDE?
Nothing is on the MOtherboard primary IDE, it won't support the larger size hard drive I have.

Chuck Wintle
01-18-2005, 12:29 PM
What you could try is to put the cdrom's on the motherboard primary IDE as master and slave and the zipdrive on the motherboard secondary IDE? In the BIOS you should set the boot sequence(if available) to look for a scsi or controller card first if not already done.

Peter Stahl
01-18-2005, 3:15 PM
Lee,

Here's exactly what I have: Gateway G6-450 PC, On the Primary IDE is a 80 GB Western Digital HD and a QUANTUM FIREBALL 10 GB HD. On the Seconday IDE I have the Sony CD Burner and MATSHITA DVD-ROM. I have a Promise Ultra ATA/100 Controller card that has my MITBISHI LS-120 combo Floppy/Zip type drive. This was the only way I could get my PC to see all the drives. Been a while since I did this so I don't remember what wasn't accessable when I tried plugging the HD's in the Promise card. Right now everything works so that's what I'm sticking with. I'm hoping to get a new PC some time this year. Send a email to Promise and ask them what they think. There's a program I use called Belarc Advisor (Free, do Google for it) and it gives you a detailed page of what's in your PC. Hope this info helps some.

Pete

Peter Stahl
01-20-2005, 9:49 AM
Lee,

Any luck with the computer?

Brian Hale
01-20-2005, 7:39 PM
What driver are you using for the for drive? I'd go to the manufacturers website and look for a download of the latest driver and see if that fixes things up. Also check on the Promise site for a newer driver.

Thats my best guess....

Brian