PDA

View Full Version : Advise me about evaluating a used travel trailer

Stephen Tashiro
02-12-2011, 9:56 PM
A friend of mine, who knows nothing about travel trailers wants me (who also knowns nothing about travel trailers) to go with him to look at a used travel trailer that he might purchase. It's probably in terrible shape since the seller says he bought the trailer with the idea of fixing it up, but never got around to it.

What should we look for? How can we evaluate if the thing can still be towed?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-12-2011, 10:06 PM
The first thing I'd do is inspect the ceiling inside for signs of leakage. Roof leaks are a primary problem with trailers.

The 2nd thing I'd want to check is do all the appliance work? Appliances for trailers are expensive.

The 3rd thing I would check is the underneath storage area looking for signs of water leaks. Another major failure is the water storage and gray water and black water storage tanks and plumbing.

Check the sinks, tub, showers for signs of cracking as this is a common problem.

Then I would want to check the electrical to see if everything works.

Tires okay? Check for unusual wear on tires that might indicate when it's being towed, it's not pulling straight.

Check up underneath where the hitch or tongue attaches for signs of damage. 1... 5th wheel we looked at and were about to make an offer on.....I sensed something wrong....crawled up under where the 5th wheel goose neck mounted to the frame..there was strong physical signs that this trailer had been dropped on the back of a truck...like someone forgot to engage and lock the hitch and drove out from under it after raising the leveling legs.....

Pat Germain
02-13-2011, 8:12 PM
Gee, Ken. After reading your suggestions, I don't think I'd ever buy a used travel trailer. :eek:

Stephen Tashiro
02-14-2011, 2:36 AM
My friend didn't buy it. The trailer that we examined was completely uninhabitable.

Joe Pelonio
02-14-2011, 9:33 PM
Probably for the best. When there's a cheap trailer on Craigslist it's usually ready for the scrapyard. When I was a teen I got a part time job helping restore one, learned a lot and had fun with it, but it was a very early (50s) airstream. That thing was really nice on the outside, the interior just needed completely restoring due to dog and kid damage, but it was worth a lot even in that condition.

Matt Meiser
02-15-2011, 6:22 AM
Since he'll probably drag you out to look at another, I'll add one item to Ken's list--check the floors. If they feel spongy or worse show obvious signs of rot, walk away.

Bill Edwards(2)
02-15-2011, 6:58 AM
Ken's list is spot on, but what is acceptable can vary based on intended use.

If he wants to put it down the road, you need to be more critical.

If it's to be placed on a campground or private property then obviously the

"down the road" mechanicals are not so important. For example, if you're

going to have it hooked up to water and sewer, then the tanks become less

important.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-15-2011, 9:31 AM
For the record, I used that list to buy a trailer. We owned it 7 years and sold and was still in good shape. It took us a couple months to find one that met not only those criteria but also had a physical layout my wife liked.

Brent Ring
02-15-2011, 11:42 AM
The physical Wife layout part is huge - unless this is a portable "man cave"

Pat Germain
02-16-2011, 3:41 PM
Portable Man Cave...

You know, there just MIGHT be a market for such a product!

Brian Ashton
02-16-2011, 6:21 PM
One more thing to add to the list.

This one was told to me by a guy that worked at a trailer sales outfit for aluminum skinned trailers

Often times people will replace areas that have stains but never redo the framing underneath. Take a screw driver and give the screws on the outside a gentle twist. If the wood is sound the screw will either be snug or snug up quickly. If the wood member is beyond sound the screw will twist easily for a turn or more. It's surprising how fast trailers and boats rot out.