PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking Show in St. Louis

Chris Kelble
02-12-2011, 7:47 PM
Pretty much the usual booths, perhaps a little smaller this year. I thought the talks were better, though. Got to meet Tommy Mac and talk with him a little before his seminar. Very nice guy, very approachable. His seminar was on hand planes and scrapers and I thought he did a very good job.

He also talked a little bit about some of the reasons why the first season of his show wasn't very polished. First, the producers came from more of a gardening/cooking type background, so there was a learning curve for both sides to come up in terms of terminology and process. Also, he said that they produced the entire season in 5 months rather than the typical 18 or so months, so everything was rushed. He is hopeful that since he has a lot more time to prepare and design the projects in advance, the second season will go a lot more smoothly. He also said that they plan to start moving the show around to places like California and New York so that they can get some different regional flavors to the show. Lastly, he plans to step outside of his comfort zone and tackle some different styles and techniques (Mission, Greene and Greene, bent lam, etc).

Anyway, here's some proof:

Kirk Poore
02-12-2011, 11:18 PM
I watched his demo. He got a heck of a curl off that card scraper. And he's just as, well, caffeinated in person as he is on the show.

Kirk

Ronald Blue
02-13-2011, 10:59 PM
I went to the show yesterday and enjoyed it as usual. I did not take in Tommy Mac but did set in on one of Jim Heavey's presentations and it was very good. I enjoy browsing, watching demo's, and picking up some goodies as well. I thought there was a good turnout. Gorgeous day!

Ron Bontz
02-14-2011, 9:05 AM
Well I went a few hours each of two days. Did really well not spending much money until the last minute. Wood Peckers got me. Ouch. Decided to try the PRLV2. SOOOOOOO anyone in the market for a PRL version 1?:)