PDA

View Full Version : second bowl

Deane Allinson
02-12-2011, 6:27 PM
The big root stock I found and thought was Osage Orange is probably Locust. Good eye, George G. I tried my second bowl turning with it. It is bone dry and very hard. I'm still having a problem with the blank flying off of the face plate. This time my tenon split. There were several voids in the piece and it will really grab my tool.
It has been in the single digits here in North TX. so I just got back into my unheated garage today for the first time in 2 weeks.
Deane

John Keeton
02-12-2011, 6:56 PM
Deane, you deserve some sort of medal for turning seasoned locust!!! Nice bowl, nonetheless!

Baxter Smith
02-12-2011, 7:07 PM
Neat looking bowl out of some tough wood. If you have a consistent wall thickness on a shape like that on bowl number 2, that deserves a double congratulations!

Dennis Ford
02-12-2011, 8:34 PM
The bowl looks great but you should try some easier wood sometime. I know that hack-berry is fairly common there. It is usually plain when cut but will spalt readily.

Roger Chandler
02-12-2011, 9:15 PM
Nice work!

Thomas Canfield
02-12-2011, 9:23 PM
I agree with all the above. That had to be a little scary with the open edge for bowl #2. Keep looking for some easier wood, or come to Tyler and I'll give your some. That wood LOOKS hard.

Bernie Weishapl
02-12-2011, 9:42 PM
Really nice looking bowl out of some tough wood.

Steve Schlumpf
02-13-2011, 1:25 AM
Nice - real nice! Good form and I really like the natural edge! Sure is some pretty wood! Looking forward to seeing your next bowl!

Dan Forman
02-13-2011, 3:08 AM
Yup, you picked some tough stuff to start out on! Looks good though, keep it up.