PDA

View Full Version : What's next in tool purchases

Roger Chandler
02-12-2011, 5:11 PM
I have a new lathe [last years Christmas] I have an Airsheild pro. ...a vacuum chuck, a steady rest, Monster Hollowing system, oodles of turning tools............I have the wolverine sharpening and the Jet slow speed wet sharpening systems.

My wife asked me yesterday.........what do you want for valentines day? I already got hers......so now I want to get something that is a needed, and beneficial turning related tool.....but I am not sure which tool would be the logical next step.

Any suggestions?

David E Keller
02-12-2011, 5:19 PM
Not sure how many chucks you have, but I feel like I could always use another chuck and some different jaws. I just picked up a pyrography system(used), and I've got to order some pens and tips for it. I'd like to have a collet chuck set for holding finials and small parts. The list goes on and on...

Jon Nuckles
02-12-2011, 5:38 PM
This is the kind of thread I need to avoid reading to protect my own wallet! Are you all set with sanding and buffing tools and supplies? Chainsaw and appropriate safety gear? You could always ask for turning blanks you can't get locally. Maybe redheart would be appropriate to the holiday?

Steve Schlumpf
02-12-2011, 5:59 PM
How about a gift certificate to your wife's favorite restaurant so you can take her out to dinner!!! Any wife that permits us to collect every tool known to man deserves extra attention and for some reason Valentines Day seems like the appropriate time to do so! Besides - there is always your Birthday, Presidents Day, May Day, Memorial Day, etc!

Have fun!

Roger Chandler
02-12-2011, 6:19 PM
How about a gift certificate to your wife's favorite restaurant so you can take her out to dinner!!! Any wife that permits us to collect every tool known to man deserves extra attention and for some reason Valentines Day seems like the appropriate time to do so! Besides - there is always your Birthday, Presidents Day, May Day, Memorial Day, etc!

Have fun!

Steve........I am so sorry if I seemed cavalier about my blessings. I am the first to acknowledge that God has truly blessed me with a wife that is not only loving, supportive and desires my happiness, but she is talented in so many ways, a hard worker in her own right.......and she can cook also! :D A lovely lady in anyone's book!

I showed her your response, and she laughed out loud! We do have dinner plans, and she got a dozen red roses yesterday evening and she got some perfume that she said she wanted this time around......actually 2 different fragrances from Channel.

I just want to utilize her gift for something that will benefit me in turning. I saw David's remark about pyrography.......that has crossed my mind, but I am not sure I want to do that now.

I am open to suggestions........love to hear yours, everyone!

Fred Perreault
02-12-2011, 6:24 PM
Well, if dinner's out, and mom insists, then I second the chuck idea. If there is a turning accessory besides gouges that I wish I had more of, it has to be chucks, or different sized jaws for same. Of course, an abundance of $20's, $50's and $100's would fit also... :)

Tim Thiebaut
02-12-2011, 6:24 PM
What about one of those dentist drill setups for...dang cant remember the name of the thing...for boring your turnings you know? Or there is always an Ornamental turner like the Nova or Klien/Baxter. Just a few off the top of my head here...Tim

Roger Chandler
02-12-2011, 6:25 PM
Not sure how many chucks you have, but I feel like I could always use another chuck and some different jaws. I just picked up a pyrography system(used), and I've got to order some pens and tips for it. I'd like to have a collet chuck set for holding finials and small parts. The list goes on and on...

Great suggestion David......I have two SN2's, and an original SuperNova, and all the jaws, including cole jaws. I thought about another one, but I am not sure I would use it enough to justify the purchase. The pyrography idea had crossed my mind, but I will have to chew on that one a while....not sure if I want to go that direction, but some of the work I have seen here lately has surely been inspirational.

Roger Chandler
02-12-2011, 6:29 PM
What about one of those dentist drill setups for...dang cant remember the name of the thing...for boring your turnings you know? Or there is always an Ornamental turner like the Nova or Klien/Baxter. Just a few off the top of my head here...Tim

Piercing your turnings.............hummm..........I have not even gotten proficient in the "dyeing" or "texturing" embellishments yet.......but I do have a texturing tool!

Alan Zenreich
02-12-2011, 7:17 PM
Roger,

How are you fixed for dust collection, task lighting, or bandsawing?

James Combs
02-12-2011, 7:33 PM
Roger, I vote for more chucks. Also I would go with the G3 for the additional ones. The SN2 is great as the big gun but don't count out the smaller guys. Not too sure about the smaller mini chucks but the G3 will do 90% of the SN2. I have the SN2 and two G3s all with dedicated jaws and looking to get a couple more G3s.

Roger Chandler
02-12-2011, 7:49 PM
Roger,

How are you fixed for dust collection, task lighting, or bandsawing?

Alan,

I have 3 bandsaws.....18" 14" and a bench top.........task lighting.......I have daylight florescent overhead of my lathe and across my little shop, but a magnetic base unit with gooseneck might be a nice addition.....thanks for the suggestion. I have a DC and an overhead air cleaner, so the dust issue is taken care of, and a new contractor grade shop vac! [part of my Christmas]

Roger Chandler
02-12-2011, 7:51 PM
Roger, I vote for more chucks. Also I would go with the G3 for the additional ones. The SN2 is great as the big gun but don't count out the smaller guys. Not too sure about the smaller mini chucks but the G3 will do 90% of the SN2. I have the SN2 and two G3s all with dedicated jaws and looking to get a couple more G3s.

JD, I am not sure that I can do anything with a G3 that I cannot do with the ones I already have and smaller jaws. I will have to think on that one.....thanks!

Brian McInturff
02-12-2011, 8:07 PM
A good steady rest. A Bealle Pen Wizard. An Angle sander like the Sioux. A Coring setup. An Ipad so you can watch vids in the shop. I could keep going....

Richard Kennedy UK
02-12-2011, 8:13 PM
If it were me I'd take a course! There is always someone to learn something from so if you've got all the kit (and it sounds like you do you lucky soul! ) I would spend a day learning something new! Or maybe snap up one of the remaining couple of berths on the Norwegian cruise a gift for you both!

Tim Thiebaut
02-12-2011, 8:20 PM
Piercing your turnings.............hummm..........I have not even gotten proficient in the "dyeing" or "texturing" embellishments yet.......but I do have a texturing tool!

Yup thats it, thanks...I couldnt think of what that was called for anything!

Roger Chandler
02-12-2011, 8:21 PM
A good steady rest. A Bealle Pen Wizard. An Angle sander like the Sioux. A Coring setup. An Ipad so you can watch vids in the shop. I could keep going....

Made my own steady rest..............don't know if I want to get into pen making. Coring setup..........now that is a biggie........I have access to plenty of wood, thankfully. Would you go McNaughton or Oneway? They are probably a bit more than my valentines day present, anyway.

Alan Zenreich
02-12-2011, 8:25 PM
Also, depending on what you turn, a Beall collet chuck is a fine addition. If you do pens, a small arbor press is an upgrade from a pen press for assembly.

How about some flat sanding equipment? I don't have room for a belt thickness sander, but I did put in a 9" SandFlee with an eye towards doing some segmented wood preparation. I also use this to drive 8" Beall buffs.

And thinking of non-tool things that are nice around the shop... something to play music (I use a docked iPod), or a notebook computer (I keep a netbook in a drawer, useful to look up specs/instructions, check email, etc without leaving the shop).

Just looking around my little shop, it's amazing the amount of "stuff" I've installed/acquired. There's always room/need/lust for more <vbg>

Roger Chandler
02-12-2011, 8:36 PM
Also, depending on what you turn, a Beall collet chuck is a fine addition. If you do pens, a small arbor press is an upgrade from a pen press for assembly.

How about some flat sanding equipment? I don't have room for a belt thickness sander, but I did put in a 9" SandFlee with an eye towards doing some segmented wood preparation. I also use this to drive 8" Beall buffs.

And thinking of non-tool things that are nice around the shop... something to play music (I use a docked iPod), or a notebook computer (I keep a netbook in a drawer, useful to look up specs/instructions, check email, etc without leaving the shop).

Just looking around my little shop, it's amazing the amount of "stuff" I've installed/acquired. There's always room/need/lust for more <vbg>

Alan,

I am almost embarassed.........I have a drum sander by Performax.........works great for cabinet doors, etc. I have the beall buff system, now I have thought about a collet chuck, but do not know which one is a good one to get. That might just be the ticket......

What I am trying to accomplish is having all the tools and accessories I need to do most anything wood working and turning related. I have a very well equipped shop, just a small one with not enough room for all the tools, etc and I need to build me a larger shop, and plan to do so in the future when the timing is right. If I can, I want to suppliment my income in retirement with wood working in a decade or so.

charlie knighton
02-12-2011, 8:42 PM
Roger, saw you at fisherville, what about a trip to st paul, i have my reservations (no money on that), have paid for air fare, need to cough up aaw fee, that will keep your you busy

the vendor area at symposium will have stuff you have never seen also

Roger Chandler
02-12-2011, 9:12 PM
Roger, saw you at fisherville, what about a trip to st paul, i have my reservations (no money on that), have paid for air fare, need to cough up aaw fee, that will keep your you busy

the vendor area at symposium will have stuff you have never seen also

You have a point there Charlie....................my wife has to go to St. Paul about once every two years for training, but I don't think she has to go at the time of the symposium. I have so many responsibilities here that I don't think I will make the AAW symposium this time.

David E Keller
02-12-2011, 9:21 PM
... now I have thought about a collet chuck, but do not know which one is a good one to get. That might just be the ticket......

I think the two major players that I hear about are the Beall system and the system from PSI. If I'm not mistaken, CSUSA has gotten into the mix as well with a system similar to the PSI set up. Most of the pen turners on IAP seem to use the PSI system mainly because of the smaller cost. Extra collets can be obtained on eBay if I'm not mistaken. I don't have any of the sets yet, but a collet set is definitely on the list.

Roger Chandler
02-12-2011, 9:26 PM
If it were me I'd take a course! There is always someone to learn something from so if you've got all the kit (and it sounds like you do you lucky soul! ) I would spend a day learning something new! Or maybe snap up one of the remaining couple of berths on the Norwegian cruise a gift for you both!

Thanks Richard.........some great ideas here, but cruising.............not my thing..........I would much rather go to Alaska on a moose hunt!

David E Keller
02-12-2011, 9:29 PM
Roger, if you're considering Richard's suggestion to take a course, I'd check out Jim S. at Australianburls.com. He offers private courses in Chesapeake, and the details are on his website. I don't know anything about him or the course, but he's close to you. His gallery is beautiful, and there would be no shortage of gorgeous wood for turning.

Roger Chandler
02-12-2011, 9:41 PM
Roger, if you're considering Richard's suggestion to take a course, I'd check out Jim S. at Australianburls.com. He offers private courses in Chesapeake, and the details are on his website. I don't know anything about him or the course, but he's close to you. His gallery is beautiful, and there would be no shortage of gorgeous wood for turning.

David,

Thanks, I'll check out his website.

Bernie Weishapl
02-12-2011, 10:07 PM
I would go with a chuck Roger. You can never have to many. I have 6 chucks all with different jaws. Sure I don't use them all the time but boy are they handy when needed.

David DeCristoforo
02-12-2011, 10:07 PM
Sounds to me like you got plenty of tools. Why not get some wood?

Roger Chandler
02-12-2011, 10:13 PM
Sounds to me like you got plenty of tools. Why not get some wood?

Good idea David........I would like to get some burls, but don't know if they are beyond my gift budget...........I need to do some exploring of that possibility. I have a dear friend who goes out of his way to see that I have wood when I want it. [270+ acres of mostly timber...Maple,oak,cherry, hackberry, locust, and some pine, maybe a few other species as well as they become available.] He and I cut all my firewood as well.......no charge for any of it. I am blessed!

John Keeton
02-13-2011, 7:36 AM
I had the collet chuck set from PSI, and the quality is good. But, for my use, I have found the the smaller jaws on my Nova chuck work better and quicker. For a collet chuck, your stock needs to be very close in diamter to the collet, and the holding power is just fair because of that. I sold my set and have not missed it. Now, for someone else, it may be just the trick.

Doug Thompson
02-13-2011, 8:45 AM
Roger, you have anything you'll ever need so take some time to turn some wood. Take a class maybe in a different country or take a woodturning cruise... that would be a great gift from your wife... take her along then she can go shopping while you turn.

Bill Hensley
02-13-2011, 8:56 AM
The swan neck tool was suggested in one of your earlier discussions and that would be a good addition to the Monster system, along with some scraper blades.

Then there is also an airbrush, more gouges, more scrapers, additional tool rests, etc....

Brian McInturff
02-13-2011, 9:05 AM
Bill Hensley brings up a good suggestion and it's probably more inline with the "Gift Budget". If you don't have the Robust tool rests then I highly recommend them. I have several other rest that I have bought over the years and once I found the Robust I've not used any of the others.
To answer your question on the Coring systems I'd recommend the McNaughton. I have the knives now for the Oneway but need to get a base before I can try it out. The Woodcut is OK for smaller blanks but the McNaughton is the most versatile.

Richard Kennedy UK
02-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Roger the cruise I am talking about is a woodturning cruise! Organised by a guy called odd eric he gets some of the worlds best turners on a boat with a load of lathes welded to the car deck you spend a week turning and learning in the most amazing place its like a symposium on water! Its the only cruise I would go on!

Roger Chandler
02-13-2011, 1:12 PM
Roger the cruise I am talking about is a woodturning cruise! Organised by a guy called odd eric he gets some of the worlds best turners on a boat with a load of lathes welded to the car deck you spend a week turning and learning in the most amazing place its like a symposium on water! Its the only cruise I would go on!

Thanks Richard.......I knew that was a turning cruise............but if I were going to spend that kind of money, I would still rather go to Alaska on a moose hunt!

Roger Chandler
02-13-2011, 2:05 PM
The swan neck tool was suggested in one of your earlier discussions and that would be a good addition to the Monster system, along with some scraper blades.

Then there is also an airbrush, more gouges, more scrapers, additional tool rests, etc....

Bill, I like this suggestion.......that and a scraper tip would most likely complete my hollowing arsenal pretty well. Thanks!

Roger Chandler
02-13-2011, 2:14 PM
I want to take a moment to thank everyone who replied to my question here...........there have been some great suggestions, and things mentioned that I had not even considered. I was just at a point I did not know which way to be next, but wanted to utilize my opportunity to the best effect. I like the robust tool rest idea, the collet chuck idea, the swan neck and scraper tip for my monster rig [that may be next indeed] and the suggestion for wood, as I would like to get some burls, but most I have seen are in the $350-$600 range........a bit more than my gift, but maybe I can get a couple of smaller ones.

Thanks everyone..........I really thank you!

Brian McInturff
02-13-2011, 3:08 PM
For Burls check out Bad Dog Burls. Rob is one of the best to deal with. He carries everything. http://www.burlsource.com/