PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for wall hardware?

Alan Tolchinsky
01-17-2005, 11:12 AM
Hi All, What would you use in place of a toggle bolt(the kind with the wings that open in the wall) to reduce the wall damage when hanging something about 10 lbs. on the wall? I don't think I'll hit any studs so I need something that uses the drywall only for anchoring. I'm just trying to reduce the drywall damage because I hate doing the repairs afterward. :) Thanks. Alan in FREEZING Maryland

Jamie Buxton
01-17-2005, 11:32 AM
There are wall anchors which are easier to install and leave less damage than those toggle bolts. These are made of either plastic or metal, and are somewhat like a screwcert. That is, they are a cylinder with coarse threads around the outside. They self-drill into the sheetrock. Since I've learned about them I never use anything else. E-Z Anchor is one brand name, but there are lots out there. Any hardware store should have them.

Dave Moran
01-17-2005, 12:20 PM
Alan, I agree with Jamie, those things are great. When it comes time to remove the item and repair the wall, you can remove them, but even easier is to tighten them just a bit more until they dimple the drywall paper and spackle right over them.

John Miliunas
01-17-2005, 1:28 PM
Another vote for the type Jamie points out! I used to use the plastic "Togglers", which are nice. For repairs of abandoned hanging points, I would just take a utility knife and cut off the flange part and spackle over it. Still, the EZ anchors are even simpler. They come is a number of different load ratings, as well. For 10lbs., you can get by with a pretty small one.:) :cool:

Alan Tolchinsky
01-17-2005, 3:00 PM
Thanks for the great idea. I've seen those but just forgot. They look a lot less destructive than the toggle bolts of old. Alan in Md. freezing my buttisimo off.

John Pollman
01-17-2005, 7:29 PM
Yet another vote for the E-Z Anchor. You WON'T be disappointed !

John

William Lai
01-17-2005, 9:24 PM
Yet another vote, though I've had bad experience with the plastic version, and now religiously stick to the metal E-Z Anchor as shown above. If you do use the plastic ones, I find it more reliable to predrill a small pilot hole; otherwise the tips sometimes break for me. Maybe I just have superstrong drywall?!

John Pollman
01-17-2005, 9:33 PM
I'll agree there too William. Actually I don't usually have much trouble with the plastic ones. But last time I tried to use them I was having a bit of trouble with the tip not penetrating. I predrilled and it worked no problem. Then I remembered, the wall I was using it on was wet plaster. (The gypsum lath though, not wood lath) Metal would have probably bit no problem though. I was hanging a VERY expensive antique clock for a customer. I ended up using two of them to mount the bracket. I didn't want that sucker coming down ! :eek: I didn't even want to find out what that clock is worth by having to pay for it if it did come down. ;)

John

Alan Tolchinsky
01-18-2005, 12:23 AM
I'm sold on these babies.