PDA

View Full Version : Vases with Pyrography

Bernie Weishapl
02-12-2011, 2:15 PM
Well finally got my oil pens and colored pencils. Here are a couple of vases that just have simple woodburned designs on them. The first is a poplar vase with yellow roses. It is 10 1/2" across and 3 1/2" high. Finished with Satin Lacquer. The second is a cherry vase with 2 red roses placed by the LOML. It is 8 3/4" across and 3 3/4" high. Also finished with Satin lacquer. The last pic's are of my final practice pieces before I did these. A blue jay finished with colored pencils and a cardinal which is just burned with no coloring. Still have some learning to do on how the tips I purchased work but it is getting there.

Tim Thiebaut
02-12-2011, 2:19 PM
Very nice Bernie, I love the cardinal that is just burned in, thats my favorite, all are very well done though, this will open up a whole new area for you.

Greg Just
02-12-2011, 2:36 PM
Very nice. I especially like the red rose. Where did you get your pens?

dan carter
02-12-2011, 2:47 PM
1+on the cardinal. You are doing a nice job. Next thing we know, you won't be a wood turner anymore. :-(

Michael James
02-12-2011, 2:48 PM
WOW flying saucers from the planet Pyrorose. Nice crisp detail there Bernie, looking good! There are a lof of possibilities to experiment with; have fun!
mj

Paul Douglass
02-12-2011, 2:56 PM
Nice work, Bernie. The cardinal really is my favorite, but all very nice. Is that freehand? I have got to fire up my wood burner.

Richard Madden
02-12-2011, 3:01 PM
Bernie,
In comparing these with your first pyro work it's obvious you've come a long way already! The flowers are really nice, but the birds...WOW...Excellent!!

Roger Chandler
02-12-2011, 3:10 PM
Excellent Bernie! I like the bluejay.........one of the prettiest birds as far as color is concerned [I am partial to blue] and the flowers are great. This should step up sales for you!!! Thanks for posting these.

Matt Owen
02-12-2011, 4:25 PM
Wow! Those are really nice, Bernie. You sure have a knack for this.

David E Keller
02-12-2011, 5:23 PM
Nice work... The birds are very nicely done, and I think I'm kinda partial to the natural look of the cardinal. You've definitely got an artistic eye for details.

Jon McElwain
02-12-2011, 5:38 PM
Bernie,
In comparing these with your first pyro work it's obvious you've come a long way already! The flowers are really nice, but the birds...WOW...Excellent!!

My thoughts exactly! Nice work!

Steve Schlumpf
02-12-2011, 6:05 PM
Bernie - you are becoming quite the Artist! Nice work on each of them but I really like the Cardinal! Sometimes things work best when the viewer has to use their imagination to fill in the details! Nice work - seriously!

Hope you are relaxing and enjoying your retirement!

John Keeton
02-12-2011, 6:47 PM
Bernie, I think you have found your new niche! Very nice, and while I like the colors, the cardinal is the pic. Besides, it is the KY state bird!!

philip labre
02-12-2011, 6:54 PM
Great works Bernie!! Like most I prefer the Cardinal because I think the shading shows more artistic ability, but they are all nice.

Baxter Smith
02-12-2011, 6:56 PM
Definitely expanding your horizons Bernie. Nice job on all!

BILL DONAHUE
02-12-2011, 7:15 PM
Very nice! Always good to stretch out of the comfort zone.

Tony De Masi
02-12-2011, 8:37 PM
Nice work Bernie. It does appear that you have found another niche for your gallery work. Wish I had the steadiness in my hands to try some of these things.

Mark Hubl
02-12-2011, 8:54 PM
Way to go Bernie. You are coming along with the burner for sure. The work looks awfully good.

Scott Hackler
02-12-2011, 9:54 PM
Looks like your getting the hang of it! I am not super fond of the colorized versions, but that natural one is really nice.

Bernie Weishapl
02-12-2011, 10:00 PM
Thanks to all. It has been fun. I do like the just burnt cardinal best but I did the roses in memory of my mother who loved them and had, well I couldn't count how many she grew. By the way these have already been bought by my 2 sisters. The practice burnings I couldn't believe it but when I took them down to the Gallery where my turnings are displayed the director wants me to drill a shallow hole in the back bottom of the practice pieces so they will stand kinda like a picture. While in there she sold the one orange butterfly, the cardinal and the blue jay for $30 each. I about fell over. So tonight I drilled and glued dowels so they stand up and will deliver them on Monday. I showed her the bowls before they go to my sisters. She wants 3 with the red roses and 2 with the yellow rose to display and sell along with 3 burned cardinals and 3 burned blue jays with no color.

Steve retirement is going well. Just don't know how I had time for a full time job all those years.:D;):rolleyes: Been fun traveling now that the grandson is close. I think we have been down there every month since they got there but grandpa does like fishing with the boy.

Dan Forman
02-13-2011, 3:23 AM
Bernie---The pieces are lovely. Not sure what brand of colored pencils you have, but many are not lightfast, especially reds and greens, so best to check this out before too many go out the door. You might have to contact the manufacturer and ask what the permanence rating is for the colors you are using.

Dan

Charles Drake
02-13-2011, 5:38 AM
Bernie, very, very nice. Would you mind reviewing which pens you used to do what on the various figures? Also, a little more info on the coloring pens you used would be nice. Thabnks a lot. Charlie

Bernie Weishapl
02-13-2011, 9:23 AM
Thanks again. Dan and Charles the oil pencils I use are Lyra Rembrandt Polycolor Premium Oil Based Colored Pencils. According to them, "They're easily blended and overlayed for limitless hues and formulated with the highest standards of lightfastness." The regular colored pencils I got are Caran d'Ache Pablo colored pencils. They say use them on paper, wood, or photographs. They offer creamy, soft, water-resistant 3.7 mm leads. Pablo pencils have exceptional covering power, and superb lightfastness. I did a lot of research Dan and ask a lot of questions on forums like Wet Canvas. These were recommended by a lot of people. I also use a Copic Sketch Marker which is permanent ink. They have a chisel tip and brush tip. I have some ornaments that I used this ink on that are 3 or 4 yrs old and no fadding what so ever. Charles hope this helps.

Michelle Rich
02-13-2011, 10:53 AM
wow, Bernie..you sure are stepping it up a naotch..i think woodburning is a hidden talent you've finally realized you have! Wonderful..keep at it & share more with us

Brian Effinger
02-13-2011, 11:44 AM
Well done on all counts, Bernie. And congrats on the sales. :)

Pete Jordan
02-13-2011, 7:23 PM
These are really great!

Jeff Nicol
02-13-2011, 7:42 PM
Bernie, It looks like you are having fun with the wood burning and like already said it will add a lot of variables to your work! I have a couple of burning units I am in the process of building that will let me get into pyro work too. I am working on the pens and how I want them to fit my hands and if they will be fixed or removable tipped.

More inspiration and great job,

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
02-13-2011, 7:50 PM
Thank you all again. Jeff I was advised that the fixed tip were the best. No chance of them getting loose with all the removing and inserting. Besides it took me about a week to figure out I only need 3 tips to do 98% of the burning I do.

Charles Drake
02-14-2011, 4:46 AM
Bernie, thanks for the info on the pens. Also wonder which three woodburning tips do you recommend? Thanks Charlie

steven carter
02-14-2011, 9:20 AM
Bernie, I think you have found your new niche! Very nice, and while I like the colors, the cardinal is the pic. Besides, it is the KY state bird!!

And it is the Indiana state bird! All the pyrography is great I like the color versions, but my favorite is also the cardinal.

Bernie Weishapl
02-14-2011, 10:35 AM
Bernie, thanks for the info on the pens. Also wonder which three woodburning tips do you recommend? Thanks Charlie

Charlie I bought a medium skew, a small writing tip pen, and a spoon shader.

Thanks Steven.