PDA

View Full Version : tool storage - protecting cast iron surfances

Jeff Smi
02-12-2011, 12:02 PM
I was wonder what the best product on the market is for protecting cast iron surfance's when placed in say a self storage unit.

Neil Brooks
02-12-2011, 12:37 PM
I'd throw a HEALTHY coat of Johnson's Paste Wax ... or ... Boeshield T-9 on it, and leave it there until it's time to wake the machine up again.

John Coloccia
02-12-2011, 12:49 PM
I'm a fan of LPS 3. In fact, I'm a fan of LPS 1, 2 and 3...all great products. 3 is the long term corrosion inhibitor. All are silicone free. LPS 1 smells a little like marzipan :)

That's not to take anything away from the paste wax or the Boeshield. I've always liked all of the "Boe" products (Boeshield, Boelube...I especially like Boelube as a cutting/tapping lubricant and screw lubricant).

Neil Brooks
02-12-2011, 1:23 PM
Agree with John. I have an assortment of the LPS sprays in my arsenal, and truly like them, too.

Either way should be good.

Neil Brooks
02-12-2011, 1:26 PM
By the way ....

I'm almost hesitant to mention is, but you CAN buy Cosmoline (http://www.schafco.com/cosmoline.asp)

Love it or hate it ... it DOES prevent corrosion, during storage.

Randy Alkins
02-12-2011, 2:16 PM
Corrosion X

Van Huskey
02-12-2011, 4:44 PM
Every time I have put something in a self storage unit it ends up staying there longer than I initially expected. While I love many of the "modern" spray alternatives I would use something that was cheap and I could put on in a visibly thick coat like paste wax. If I had or had access to Cosmoline it might be my choice. Given it is the rust inhibitor of choice for everything from a $300K Ferrari to a $100 HF jointer to protect them from weeks of salt air on their trips over the seas the cost benefit ratio has to be pretty good.

John Sanford
02-13-2011, 2:21 AM
:confused: I don't understand. Why would you need to protect the cast iron while in storage? Do irontermites lurk in self storage units? :eek:

Yeah, sure, the dust from a couple year's of storage can be annoying, but that blows off in the back of the truck...

;)

Van Huskey
02-13-2011, 3:02 AM
:confused: I don't understand. Why would you need to protect the cast iron while in storage? Do irontermites lurk in self storage units? :eek:

Yeah, sure, the dust from a couple year's of storage can be annoying, but that blows off in the back of the truck...

;)

For people that live in areas where swamp coolers work well, like yourself, there may be no issues. For a lot of us the air is just filled with this noxious hydrogen and oxygen compound that just loves to snuggle up to iron and make a little iron oxide. I don't know where the OP live but there are days in south Louisiana that walking to the mail box is more like swimming.

Norman Hitt
02-13-2011, 7:55 AM
+1 +1 +1 for LPS 3. I personally prepped and loaded several container loads of Helicopter and Aircraft parts for shipment by sea to Singapore from Louisiana and Texas using LPS 3, and never got one spot of corrosion or rust on any of the aluminum, steel or cast parts. Got many letters of thanks for the outstanding preservation treatment from the customers. Even though you spray it, it is thick enough that it leaves a good coating that protects extremely well and is easy to get complete coverage with minimal access.

Myk Rian
02-13-2011, 9:02 AM
:confused: I don't understand. Why would you need to protect the cast iron while in storage? Do irontermites lurk in self storage units?
Ever hear of rust from humidity?

Paste wax, a HFC tool cover, and a sheet of non-treated plywood on top will protect it for years.

hank dekeyser
02-13-2011, 10:15 AM
Cosmoline, LPS, Depends on the surface and how easy it is to get at , then later wipe clean. I like to get a 50# bag of the "cowboy charcoal" (the big chunks of wood kind, not the fancy cubes) and sprinkle it around also. Helps w/ moisture. Whatever you do- don't UNDER do it ! Its easier to remove an extra layer of cosmoline or whatever than it is to make the surface rust free - once it rusts , you'll hate it

Scott T Smith
02-13-2011, 4:32 PM
If I remember correctly LPS #1 is basically a light spray cosmoline, and #3 is a light lubricant. Or vice versa....

John Coloccia
02-13-2011, 4:50 PM
LPS 1 is their dry lube. I doubt there's an airplane flying that doesn't have LPS 1 on it somewhere. LPS 2 is their wet spray lube. Great stuff as well. LPS3 is their corrosion protection product (i.e. the light spray cosmoline as you say). Generally, I find LPS 3 to be nicer than cosmoline...at least you get a thin, even coat.

Bob Wingard
02-13-2011, 5:01 PM
I use so much LPS1, that I get it in gallon cans .. then transfer it to a pressurized sprayer. I spray every tool & machine surface once in a while, and just leave it ... I only wipe it down when I'm redy to use that tool again.