PDA

View Full Version : First Leigh Dovetails!......gloat and pic

Arnie Grammon
01-16-2005, 11:52 PM
I got in on the sub-$300 deal right before Christmas at Rockler..(gloat)...but just got the bushings and adaptor for my router on Friday. The router I used was a Makita 3621 1 1/4....worked fine. If needed, the same bushings fit on my m12v Hitachi. Here's the proof.......
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albus48/First_Dovetails_003.sized.jpg
Sorry for the picture quality.

I must of gotten lucky......I nailed it the first time. I used 5 boards.....1 to test cut and get the feel for the cut, and 4 to make the test box. I was ready for major frustration....like I normally experience....and it never happened. All in all, I am very pleased with the jig.

Now on to more challenging exploits :cool: !

Arnie

Stefan Antwarg
01-17-2005, 8:05 AM
That's funny! The very first thing I made when I got my Leigh looks EXACTLY like yours. It was just to test it out. I put a rabbit in the top pieces and made a lid too. Now I just keep random junk in it. Looks Good!

Stefan

Kelly C. Hanna
01-17-2005, 8:11 AM
Very nice!! Congrats on the new jig!!

Frank Pellow
01-17-2005, 8:15 AM
Congratulations. The Leigh Dovetail Jig is nice, eh! And, I really really like the manual.

I plan to buy the jig sometime. I went to a 4 hour hands-on course at Lee Valley a couple of weeks ago and we made a similar box.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-17-2005, 8:57 AM
Congrats Arnie!

John Shuk
01-17-2005, 9:21 AM
Congrats. The box looks pretty nice. Make sure you keep it.
John

Jim Becker
01-17-2005, 9:34 AM
Excellent results, Arnie! Ya gotta love good tools with great manuals--especially when you get such a wonderful deal on them! As scary as the Leigh looks at first, it's one of the nicest tools to work with. IMHO, of course.

Jerry Olexa
01-17-2005, 10:47 AM
Great results AND that is an excellent jig @ a great price!!

Arnie Grammon
01-17-2005, 7:32 PM
Thanks for the pleasant comments.........I cannot believe I finally have a D4.....it's taken me a lot of years to realize this dream.

On a philosophical note.....I believe everyone should (at the very least) attempt to make hand cut dovetails BEFORE they purchase a dovetail jig. Once you have painstakingly cut dovetails by hand, you will truly appreciate this machine.

Arnie

Fred Voorhees
01-17-2005, 9:12 PM
Congrats on the acquiring of the Leigh jig. I have had mine for a couple of years and in my opinion, they can come out with new fangled jigs for dovetails, but they just can't top the Leigh. It makes dovetail joints "almost" like kids play! Now - go out and make some dovetails!!!