PDA

View Full Version : I need a temporary single faucet fix

Brian Kent
02-12-2011, 12:04 AM
Within a couple of weeks we will be re-tiling the shower and fixing some underlayment problems. But for now, I have a lesser problem.

A couple times each week - and twice today - we will hear water running and the shower will have turned itself on. It is a Moen single handle, pull for on, twist for hot and cold. It does not leak otherwise. I am guessing something is loose or slippery and something is allowing it to push itself on.

The only real problem with this is that it wastes a whole lot of water (including some hot water from an electric water heater). I will have full access to it soon. Is there any temporary fix I can try?

Thanks all.

Brian

Jerome Stanek
02-12-2011, 6:16 AM
Check out a new cartridge for it

Von Bickley
02-12-2011, 8:21 AM
If you just want a temporary fix until you redo the shower, install a 1/2" ball valve between the shower spout and the shower head.

Myk Rian
02-12-2011, 8:22 AM
Duct tape.

Brian Kent
02-12-2011, 9:34 AM
Duct tape fixes everything! Well, everything except maybe woodworking finishing mistakes.

Shawn Pixley
02-12-2011, 9:51 AM
How about one of the water conserving shower heads with the built-in shut off?

Brian Kent
02-12-2011, 10:01 AM
Check out a new cartridge for it

Jerome, I have never fixed a single handle faucet. Do you know any websites that would show me the simple path? I checked the Moen parts diagram and need a tutorial.

Edit: Never mind. I just found some.

Phil Thien
02-12-2011, 10:03 AM
This might be helpful:

Poltergeist

This is a spirit, usually mischievous and occasionally malevolent, which manifests its presence by making noises, moving objects, and assaulting people and animals. The term "poltergeist" comes from the German poltern, "to knock," and geist, "spirit." Some cases of poltergeists that remain unexplained and may involve actual spirits. In other cases the phenomena may be produced by subconscious psychokinesis (PK) (http://www.themystica.com/mystica/articles/p/psychokinesis_pk.html) on the part of an individual.

Included in the most common types of poltergeist activities are the rains of stones, dirt, and other small objects; moving or throwing of objects, including large pieces of furniture; loud noises and shrieks; and vile smells. It seems that poltergeists have adapted to the development of technology. They are known to have caused interference in telephones and electronic equipment, and turning lights and appliances on and off. Some poltergeists are said to pinch, bite, hit, and sexually attack the living.

Generally poltergeist activity starts and stops abruptly. The duration of it may extend over several hours to several months; however, some cases have been reported to last over several years. The activity almost always occurs at night when someone is presence. Typically this is the "agent," an individual who seems to serve as a focus or magnet for the activity. In most cases the agent is a factor, both those that seem paranormal or that may be caused by human PK. The agent is usually female and under the age of twenty.

Matt Meiser
02-12-2011, 10:13 AM
I don't know about Moen but we have/had Delta ones that were quite easy to fix. I would assume they are all fairly similar in concept. Shut off the water, remove the knob, and unscrew a ring that holds in the guts. Lowes sell the replacement parts for the guts. When we did a facelift on the one bath, I even found a complete set of new trim at Lowes to update the look at a significantly lower cost than a new faucet.

Brian Kent
02-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Thank you, Phil. This is the most logical explanation, obviously. Shower don't just turn themselves on!

Brian Elfert
02-12-2011, 1:27 PM
Most faucets have a lifetime warranty including the cartridge. The problem is the hassle of dealing with the warranty. Most people just spend the $10 or so on a new cartridge. I had to get a new cartridge for one faucet that was less than five years old due to mineral build up. Interesting thing is I have two other faucets same model and age still going strong.

Dan Hintz
02-12-2011, 5:27 PM
Definitely a problem with the cartridge, though I can't say I've ever seen it go in that direction.... normally they become harder to pull out due to mineral build-up. I suppose if the seal is leaking, the water pressure can seep around and push the cartridge out, turning it on.

Jerome Stanek
02-13-2011, 7:24 AM
Go to the Moen web site and they have instructions on how to replace the cartridge