PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion: Would I have problems adding a pattern makers vise to a thick bench?

Jim Neeley
02-11-2011, 10:31 PM
I just posted another thread asking if people had any problems with their bench being too thick, as I'm contemplating one that could be up to 5" thick.

I know I'll have a Veritas twin-screw but a Wood River pattern makers vise for a front vise. I'm comfortable with a router and chisels so the idea of carving out some of the top doesn't phase me but I'm specifically curious regarding the angle adjusting bar and it hitting the lower table edge from "cutting the corner" when the vise is tilted.

Has anyone run into this? Will cutting a slot out of the workbench solve the problem or did you re-work the bar or have to remove lots of table top?

My intent is to mock up a small but thick prototype top from kiln dried fir before building the final product but I'd like to get your feedback before I even order the vise. I live in Alaska and don't know anyone with such a vise.

Jim

Jon van der Linden
02-12-2011, 2:21 PM
You're going to have to take out a lot of additional material over the "normal" excavation that a patternmaker's style vise requires. The tilt bar does and it's handle do have a maximum depth requirement. You might be able to get away with digging out a hole for the tilt handle.

My bench is 2 3/8" thick and there's about a 3 3/4" clearance from the top to the bar when the vise is raised.

You're really not going to get any benefit from a thickness over 2 1/2" unless you're attaching the legs with a mortise and tenon. There the rigidity comes in part from that joint, so bigger is better. If you're going for any other style of leg to top connection, that extra thickness is probably a drawback. There is some marginal benefit in having a thicker front apron which allows for deeper dogholes, or for use with a tail vise or wagon vise.

Jim Koepke
02-12-2011, 3:18 PM
Jim,

Welcome to the Creek.

Of course you will encounter problems. You will likely be able to find a solution to any of them.

5" sounds like a very thick bench. Hopefully you will post photos while you make it and show us how you solve your problems.

I am also curious about the Woodriver patern makers vise. I have thought about getting a pattern maker's vise but the cost seems prohibitive. This may be the answer for me. Hopefully they are serious about quality and make these as well as they seem to be doing with their planes.

jtk

Jim Belair
02-12-2011, 5:29 PM
See Alf's recent posts on adding patternmakers vise to her bench. Here is the first in the series...
http://cornishworkshop.blogspot.com/2011/02/if-any-man-know-of-any-just-cause.html

Jim B

Larry Fox
02-13-2011, 8:16 AM
I recently added an Emmert #2 to my bench and had to remove a lot of meat in order to do it but it is worth it. I mounted the tilt lock gizmo on an angle in my case. Some pics atttached.

BTW: Neither the best bench nor the best install job. Replacement bench buildon the project list for likely next winter.

Jim Neeley
02-13-2011, 7:55 PM
Thanks for the link, Jim, and thanks to Alf for theinspirational blog!

See Alf's recent posts on adding patternmakers vise to her bench. Here is the first in the series...
http://cornishworkshop.blogspot.com/2011/02/if-any-man-know-of-any-just-cause.html

Jim B

Jim Neeley
02-13-2011, 8:35 PM
I recently added an Emmert #2 to my bench and had to remove a lot of meat in order to do it but it is worth it. I mounted the tilt lock gizmo on an angle in my case. Some pics atttached.

BTW: Neither the best bench nor the best install job. Replacement bench buildon the project list for likely next winter.

Thanks for the visual, Larry.. this looks like all the better reason to make a prototype, even if it's just a couple of feet wide by a couple of feet deep; to practice the stock removal. It appears as though maybe I could get away removing the main flush-mount stock without a 3-D complex profile?

I'm pretty new to the neander-world but it appears as if a large router with guide bushing and template, a 1/2" sh bit, 1/2" Dia with a 3" cutter would get most of the way through even a 5" bench. With the top and bottom parallel another 3" cutter with a bearing tip might just take ya home? Its when you start changing all three axis at once it gets to be a bugga-bear.

Maybe I'm missing something and over-simplifying it too. Sounds like a re-iteration for making a prototype. Also a good excuse to make a huge pile of wood chips! <g>