PDA

View Full Version : Gerber Pocket Kinves

Dan Mages
01-16-2005, 11:37 PM
I have picked up a Gerber AR 3.25 lockback knife from WallyWorld. I am very impressed with this knife. The blade is solid and has a very sharp edge. The body has a rubbery handle that will be great when my hands are wet. Overall, this is a nice knife. I was also looking at a Buck Knife at Bass Pro for $10 more, but I could not see any advantage to buy that model. What type of knife (knives) do you have? Any thoughts on Gerber knives?

Dan

Rick Whitehead
01-17-2005, 1:51 AM
I 've had a couple of Gerber pocket knives, and really liked them. I had a Gerber LST(a small, lightweight lockback), and a lightweight 3-blade stock knife that is no longer made. Both took a good edge,and kept it well.
I now carry a Queen whittler, the firsr Queen knife I've had, and I really like it, too.
My wife has a Gerber LST I gave her.
I'm sure you'll be happy with your Gerber.
Rick

Randy Meijer
01-17-2005, 2:34 AM
I used to buy a new knife every year or two because I always found one I liked better than the one I had. Bought a Gerber Gator about 10 years ago and am still carrying it.......great steel!!!

I used a Dremel tool with a cutting disk to cut a slot in the blade for some extra friction to facilitate opening the blade with my thumb.

Dan Gill
01-17-2005, 8:35 AM
I've used a Gerber LST as my everyday pocket knife for years. Every time I lose one, I get another. They're great.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-17-2005, 8:55 AM
I've used a Gerber LST for years. Love it. Broke the tip of the blade recently and am currently using a Gerber that my company gave me on my 15th anniversary with them. Don't know the model.....brass and wood lockback. Great knife but because of the weight, I prefer the LST.

John Shuk
01-17-2005, 3:15 PM
I have a Gereber knife I used to use for SCUBA diving. I don't really care for it. It is very corrosion resistant but it won't take an edge well.

Jason Roehl
01-18-2005, 6:01 AM
I carried a black, nylon(?)-handled BuckLite knife for about 10 years until I lost it about 2 years ago. Its replacement was a Spyderco Native, which is a HUGE upgrade--has more of the "modern" features, such as thumb-hole for one-handed opening (practically as fast as a switchblade, but legal), and a reversible pocket clip. I don't leave home without it. The blade is a 440A stainless. Fairly hard, but I abuse it and don't sharpen it often enough. :D On both knives I have broken the tip off and reground them, too...grrrr.

Maurice Ungaro
01-18-2005, 8:37 AM
Kershaw, Ken Onion designs. My favorite I own is the "Avalanche".

Maurice

Kevin Beck
01-18-2005, 9:58 AM
I carry a small Spyderco 2 7/8 inch non-serrated knife every day. I have around a dozen Spyderco and Benchmade knives but I usually carry the smallest of the bunch. I carried a Delica for several years until I broke the plastic clip.

I looked around for a photo of my knife and now I have a few more knives to go on my wish list.

Kevin

Aaron Koehl
01-18-2005, 10:10 AM
Any thoughts on Gerber knives?
Dan
Good for laser etching on the Stainless.. ;)

Dan Mages
01-18-2005, 2:01 PM
Good for laser etching on the Stainless.. ;)
I think there is a coating on the stainless, maybe teflon? I think this will cause a problem with the laser.

Dan

Kevin Arceneaux
01-18-2005, 4:15 PM
I got the Gerber multi-tool and it has a teflon coating. I find it very usefull and handy to have around.

Charles McKinley
01-18-2005, 8:24 PM
I have carried a Swiss Champ for over 12 years now. Some poeple laugh at at and call it a tool box. I really like the pliers. It is smaller than a multi-tool but has more features. I really like Gerbers the steel take a good edge and has a high Rockwell number but makes it a bit brittle if you abuse it (broken tips as mentioned above.) I also carry a Queen #49 stockmans knife that I'v had since 1988 and small Case lockback with a plastic handle.