PDA

View Full Version : Critique on a concept

Roger Chandler
02-11-2011, 9:21 PM
I have a concept I want to run by a few of you who have some HF experience. Let me know what you think of my concept...........

I hope my concept works well......black walnut HF, with clear Ash pedestal [white wood] and finial, with a black walnut replication on the finial. I am hoping I can pull this one off........prayers would be appreciated!:D

My first attempt when I get to use my Monster Hollowing rig. I bought some Zinzer Seal Coat, [100% dewaxed shellac to "pop" the grain before finishing it with WOP.

Any objections, or other ideas?

Bernie Weishapl
02-11-2011, 9:30 PM
Sounds like a plan Roger. Give it a go. I don't think you will have any problems. I might make a practice run or two before getting to the one you are talking about. Just to kinda get used to the rig. I did and I am happy I did. You get a idea of what to expect and how each cutter works along with the laser. Just a thought.

Roger Chandler
02-11-2011, 9:33 PM
Sounds like a plan Roger. Give it a go. I don't think you will have any problems. I might make a practice run or two before getting to the one you are talking about. Just to kinda get used to the rig. I did and I am happy I did. You get a idea of what to expect and how each cutter works along with the laser. Just a thought.

Bernie,

I hear the voice of wisdom speaking in your post............I am chomping at the bit at present, but your advice would be better than ruining a limited wood selection to make a fine turning with. Thank you.........guess I'll have to pull the reigns back on those horses just a little! :eek::D;)

Bernie Weishapl
02-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Just don't ask me how I know.:eek::mad::mad:

David E Keller
02-11-2011, 10:39 PM
Nothing wrong with the concept, but why would you start with a project that's mainly spindle work(ie. Pedestal and complicated finial)? If you want to test drive that monster rig, I'd think about a pure hollowing project. Actually, a nice shallow enclosed bowl form would be a great practice piece. I found it helpful to do at least one form with a big opening so that I could see what the cutters were doing. Looking forward to hearing your impressions.

Roger Chandler
02-11-2011, 10:53 PM
Nothing wrong with the concept, but why would you start with a project that's mainly spindle work(ie. Pedestal and complicated finial)? If you want to test drive that monster rig, I'd think about a pure hollowing project. Actually, a nice shallow enclosed bowl form would be a great practice piece. I found it helpful to do at least one form with a big opening so that I could see what the cutters were doing. Looking forward to hearing your impressions.

David,

Your idea sounds like a good one for a test run of the rig. I have a piece of Bradford pear that would make for a small HF, but it would be more of an elongated shape than a wide one. I might have to see if I can cut a blank from a piece of cherry that I have, but it has a crack running almost the entire length of the log blank [1/2 of the log]

I might have to break out a piece of red gum a neighbor gave me........ that would be a plain jane kind of form, but it would be a learning piece.

David DeCristoforo
02-11-2011, 11:22 PM
"...black walnut HF, with clear Ash pedestal [white wood] and finial, with a black walnut replication on the finial..."

Did you even see John Keeton's last posting? If you did, you should have no doubt of the workability of your proposed color scheme. If not, you must have slept all week!;)

Michael James
02-12-2011, 12:08 AM
Roger, I agree with Keller on just having a go at some HF's and leave the other pieces for when you get more comfortable with it, but it's your wood - your call. Also +1 on dewaxed shellac.... I love shellac.;)

Dan Forman
02-12-2011, 3:04 AM
Color would be fine, but ash, being rather open grained, might not be the best choice for a delicate finial. I would think maple would be better structurally.

Dan

Michelle Rich
02-12-2011, 7:58 AM
Hey Roger: go have fun! Use anything you want. play to your heart's content. share with us. Good Luck

John Keeton
02-12-2011, 8:12 AM
Roger, sorry to be late chiming in, but I have been nursing a vicious cold for a few days and sleep has become my best friend! I certainly would advise doing a couple of trial runs - particularly some open mouth forms. Pot pourri bowls make a great project - they have enough of an enclosed form to permit use of the Monster, but open enough to see what is going on. Not to mention you end up with a useful project.

On the combo, the colors are great. However, Dan is correct on the structural issues - more to the ability to hold detail. If you don't have holly (fantastic wood to turn!) then I do think hard maple would be a much better choice. You could even bleach it, lime it, etc., to lighten it some - though maple and walnut were meant for each other! I am concerned that you would have difficulty getting nice clean cuts on the pedestal/finial.

The last comment is - just like clothing - dark colors are flattering! In other words, they make an object appear slimmer. The opposite is true. A dark finial turned to .07" will look much slimmer than a white one the same dimension. Just consider that in your design. I would make the form, and the whole turning on a scale that would accomodate that. Embellishments tend to draw attention, so I would make the pedestal and finial with rather simple lines other than the inset replication. You could do otherwise, but it would be tricky to keep the form the center of attention.

Roger Chandler
02-12-2011, 8:58 AM
Get better soon John........we miss you here when you are not typing away at your keyboard! Maybe I will do something small with the monster just to get a feel for how it cuts on the tips, etc. Your info on the look of darker/slimmer vs. lighter/ heavy is something I did not consider.

The Ash that I have is from a couple of baseball bat blanks, and is straight grained and stable. I seems to hold detail okay..........but I do have some maple bat blanks as well.......they just don't look as light colored, but if I go with black for the pedestal and finial, it won't matter. John, I still have the holly you sent me, but they are all pen blank size, and I thought not big enough to turn a collar and finial combination to cover the hole in the top, and I was saving the best one for the purpleheart/yellowheart form that I am still mulling over.

My options are increasing with the addition of tools, etc. like the monster rig..............so I am not sure what I will do with that purpleheart/yellowheart, as of yet.

I am glad I put this concept out for critique, as it might be better for me to get a couple more finials under my belt before I go all "artsy" on things and bite off too much all in one form. Thanks!

Jon Nuckles
02-12-2011, 3:48 PM
Roger, I can't offer critique or suggestions on your design idea, but look forward to seeing what you produce. Out of curiousity, how do you plan to apply the shellac? I like it on flat work, but the only way I can get a finish I am happy with there is by doing a french polish. I tried a rattle can on a bowl and ended up with orange peel. Do you finish it on the lathe, or do you finish it and then buff it out?

Roger Chandler
02-12-2011, 4:03 PM
Roger, I can't offer critique or suggestions on your design idea, but look forward to seeing what you produce. Out of curiousity, how do you plan to apply the shellac? I like it on flat work, but the only way I can get a finish I am happy with there is by doing a french polish. I tried a rattle can on a bowl and ended up with orange peel. Do you finish it on the lathe, or do you finish it and then buff it out?

Jon,

I have done the finish both ways. I like the french polish the best. I have done it on the lathe as well, which works. One needs to let it dry and cure, then take something like a 2000 grit paper or abralon pad, to take the nibs off, then the french polish........makes it so slick you can see yourself in it, and just awesomely smooth.