PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Chuck system question .....

Tim Boger
02-11-2011, 7:50 PM
Greetings everyone,

A question if I may, Almost all the pictures I've found showing the plumbing fittings from the vacuum pump to the headstock (excluding the clear reinforced tubing) appears to be brass or copper, I'm not sure which.

My question is if I can use schedule 40 PVC to plumb up the valves, gauge and filter prior to the nipple where the tubing connects and heads toward the lathe?

I'm working to develop a plan before I head out to shop for parts and pieces.

Thanks,
Tim

Josh Bowman
02-11-2011, 8:09 PM
Tim, PVC should work well and have near perfect seal after gluing.

Tim Boger
02-11-2011, 8:18 PM
Tim, PVC should work well and have near perfect seal after gluing.

Thanks Josh, PVC sure seems like an easier way to go.

Harry Robinette
02-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Tim
I wouldn't use PVC but thats up to you,Myself my thinking is PVC is very rigid and little bumps or the lathe vibration,I would think cracks.Unless you isolate the PVC and cover it so no bumps you might get away with it. One think is were are you going to get that small of an diameter schedule 40. All of this is just MHO.

Mike Peace
02-12-2011, 11:09 AM
I had to go back and look at mine to think about it. Here is a picture and it is not really any different from all I have seen before. I have never seen anyone post a picture or instructions for doing it with PVC. I guess I don't see any advantage in PVC over brass fittings. I suppose it will work ok but I share some of Harry's concerns. I do not think there will be a significant cost difference either way. I do not think leaking is an issue with brass fittings with teflon tape.

Good luck with your system. I know you will enjoy it.