PDA

View Full Version : If you could trade your day job...

Raymond Fries
02-11-2011, 7:47 PM
...for another, what would you like to do?

I would trade mine for my own Pranic Healing Service. Pranic Healing is a compliment to traditional medicine. I have used this healing modality to heal family, friends, and clients where there has not been a cure with the traditional medical practices.

Here is a nice video that shows it is used along side traditional medicine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahg6Ut1cyhA

How about you? Do you have a dream?

David Weaver
02-11-2011, 8:46 PM
I would put together a metalworking shop and build tools.

Jim O'Dell
02-11-2011, 8:54 PM
Mine is simple...I want to be one of those guys who is independently wealthy and plays all day. :D Jim.

Dave Lehnert
02-11-2011, 9:43 PM
Mine is simple...I want to be one of those guys who is independently wealthy and plays all day. :D Jim.

To be so lucky.

John Coloccia
02-11-2011, 9:47 PM
I quit my job in August and now I work in the shop all day long. Hope to be making money again by the end of the year :) Heck, I'd like to not be losing money by the end of the year...

Bryan Morgan
02-11-2011, 11:34 PM
Garbage man. 4 hours of manual labor, get paid for 8. Predictable work environment. Possibility of finding some treasures.

Working with computers and networks all day wears on you. Dealing with modern substandard junk is not acceptable.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-11-2011, 11:46 PM
Garbage man. 4 hours of manual labor, get paid for 8. Predictable work environment. Possibility of finding some treasures.

Working with computers and networks all day wears on you. Dealing with modern substandard junk is not acceptable.

Isn't that the same as garbage?

I just retired 2 weeks ago after working and supporting myself for 46 years. I let you know in the future how it works out.

Brian Kent
02-12-2011, 12:06 AM
I would not trade my job for anything, and hope to work past age 70. But another rewarding career path would be teaching in a High School or University.

Rich Engelhardt
02-12-2011, 5:30 AM
Working with computers and networks all day wears on you. Dealing with modern substandard junk is not acceptable
In 1988 I quit retail to follow my dream of working in the electronics field. I hired into a company to fix computers and printers in 1990 after going through 2 years of tech school.
I worked my way from computer/printer repair into networking - first as a Novell CNE, then later on as a Microsoft MCSE and finally as a Microsoft MCDBA.
Computers have been good to me,,,,but,,I have to agree,,,after 20+ years it's begun to wear on me.
Come August, I'll once again follow my dream whenI retire from the computer industry and begin a new career in (what I like to call) Home Rescue.

Life's too short & you spend far too much time working to waste it all on something you don't love doing.

Belinda Barfield
02-12-2011, 7:32 AM

And I want to be married to one of those guys.:D

Does it have to be something I can actually do, or something I just want to do?

1. Archeologist.
2. Museum curator.
3. Professional singer.
4. Professional belly dancer (just for fun).
5. Be of those people who travel everywhere and evaluate resorts to see if they are worthy to use/have some fancy shmancy product. I knew a lady who did this for a golf cart company.
6. In the past I wanted to have a book store but then the E-readers came along so I'm not so sure that's a good idea anymore.
7. Be a hiking guide in Ireland and Scotland. Actually this ranks pretty near the top.

So, there's the short list and in making it I realize that I'm a pretty shallow, self centered person. Not one thing I want to do helps anyone else. That's pretty sad . . . maybe I should reevaluate.

John Coloccia
02-12-2011, 8:24 AM
And I want to be married to one of those guys.:D

Does it have to be something I can actually do, or something I just want to do?

1. Archeologist.
2. Museum curator.
3. Professional singer.
4. Professional belly dancer (just for fun).
5. Be of those people who travel everywhere and evaluate resorts to see if they are worthy to use/have some fancy shmancy product. I knew a lady who did this for a golf cart company.
6. In the past I wanted to have a book store but then the E-readers came along so I'm not so sure that's a good idea anymore.
7. Be a hiking guide in Ireland and Scotland. Actually this ranks pretty near the top.

So, there's the short list and in making it I realize that I'm a pretty shallow, self centered person. Not one thing I want to do helps anyone else. That's pretty sad . . . maybe I should reevaluate.

You need to open an E-Cafe & Belly Dancing coffee shop.

Bill Edwards(2)
02-12-2011, 9:00 AM
I would not trade my work for anything, and hope to work past age 90.

Sorry Brian I perverted it.:o

Brian Kent
02-12-2011, 9:30 AM
Sorry Brian I perverted it.:o

Bill, if I could to a little bit of my job until I'm 90, I'd go for it. Not the meetings part, but the teaching part.

Meanwhile, part of my career satisfaction comes from what I do outside of my career. Great family and friends. I was planning on taking up woodworking in my retirement and 5 years ago you folks helped me get a 20 year head start on that.

Belinda, my sister was an archaeology major and became a belly dancer a few years after college. She took up the real stuff (not "cabaret" hollywood movie, quarter-flipping junk) and planned on dancing until she was 35. She got her masters in Dance ethnology from UCLA, danced in Cairo full time for 6 years in the 90's, and now teaches internationally about 40 weekends per year. At 58 (or as she says "39 plus sales tax, shipping and handling") she is still gaining in demand and is one of the top middle eastern dance teachers in the world, teaching dancers about the dance zones of egypt in a series of courses called 'Journey through Egypt". It can be done.

Shawn Pixley
02-12-2011, 9:58 AM
If money is no object here, then

Supervise a school children's playground
Go back to being a professional musician
Travel for fun
Fish and woodwork

If money is an object, then I'll keep doing what I do. It is important work that make other's lives better for which they pay me well. Can' tcomplain too much...

Paul Steiner
02-12-2011, 2:03 PM
I would not trade my job for anything, and hope to work past age 70. But another rewarding career path would be teaching in a High School or University.

I am a High school woodwork teacher and there are not many things I would trade my job for. The rewards come in many small doses. It is challenging at times but I can not see myself doing anything else.
But I would trade for the following if I had a full woodshop at home:
1. Guy that sits on his boat and cashes checks from investments.
2. Professional saltwater fisherman in the Florida Keys.

John Pratt
02-12-2011, 2:04 PM
Why in the world would I want to trade jobs. I get paid now to do my hobby. I am a woodworker for the Government after retiring from the active duty Army (24 yrs). I think I have one of the best jobs out there.

Dennis Peacock
02-12-2011, 4:10 PM
Mine's not so easy.

I wanted to open a shop to make custom cabinets, custom furniture, and things out of wood. My dad told me that I could never make any money at that line of work and I needed to go into computers. I have always loved working with my hands and even building a house was awesome fun to me. I went into computers as my dad talked me into and I have not looked forward to going to work a single day of my IT Professional career. While I'm good at what I do, I've gotten good at it by necessity of survival in the IT trade.

I think if I had it to do over again? I'd build a small but nice house in the middle of 50 acres, setup shop and make furniture, do furniture repair, and also do upholstery.

Like I said......I like working with my hands. I can't stand computer programming, and working in IT (to me) is about as fulfilling as watching paint dry.

Chris Kennedy
02-12-2011, 8:02 PM
I've always wanted to be a philanthropist.:D

Seriously, I love what I do. There are other things I would like to try at times -- architect, rock god, historian, brew pub brewmaster and owner -- but I doubt that they would have the same long term appeal to me as being a mathematician and professor. In a perfect world, I would own a brew pub next to campus.

Cheers,

Chris

Lee Koepke
02-12-2011, 8:33 PM
ha ... Belinda took one of mine!

Archeology would be something of interest for me ... should that now work, I'd love to buy an old house, let me 'restore' it, and my wife run a B&B out of it.... she enjoys people and cooking, so that would be my choice, should I choose to include HER in this fantasy ...hahahah...

Bryan Morgan
02-12-2011, 9:24 PM
Isn't that the same as garbage?.

Nope. I couldn't write what it really is without getting banned from these forums. :)

Von Bickley
02-12-2011, 9:39 PM
I'm retired and it's the best job I ever had......

Dave Lehnert
02-12-2011, 9:46 PM
Be a Picker.

Clarence Miller
02-12-2011, 10:18 PM
I would like to work on that extreme makeover show. I think the ability to help people on that magnitude would be wonderful. And call be a softy if you like but if I could figure out a way to make a living playing with puppies and kittens

John Sanford
02-13-2011, 1:43 AM
Well, since I don't have a day job as of yesterday, this is kinda an easy one at the moment.

Either motorcyle tour leader and/or run a motorcycle only campground, with a nice shop on property.

Belinda Barfield
02-13-2011, 8:35 AM

Archeology would be something of interest for me ... should that now work, I'd love to buy an old house, let me 'restore' it, and my wife run a B&B out of it.... she enjoys people and cooking, so that would be my choice, should I choose to include HER in this fantasy ...hahahah...

Here you go Lee . . .

http://thesga.org/2011/01/pillar-carpentry/

Remodel a house, learn something about woodworking, have the B & B.

Who knows? Maybe we'll end up at the same dig site in Georgia.

Rick Moyer
02-13-2011, 10:09 AM

Archeology would be something of interest for me ...

Oh, thank God Lee, I thought you were going to say belly dancing :D

Brian Elfert
02-13-2011, 12:53 PM
My ideal job would be a manual labor job that isn't hard on the body and not having repetitive motions like a factory. The problem is these jobs don't pay enough to live on so I'll keep my IT job for now.

I drove a large riding mower at a fairgrounds during the summer for 5 years during high school and college. The only part I didn't like was carrying around a weed whip and having to trim up the edges. If I could just drive a riding mower all the time I think I could do it until retirement. The problem in Minnesota is the mowing season is at best half of the year. I would have to move some place where grass grows year round.

Larry Frank
02-13-2011, 8:32 PM
I retired a couple of years ago from an engineering job in the steel mills. Now, I have my best job, I go back and consult a day or two a week solving problems, getting paid well, and not have to go to all the meetings and such that I really did not like.

I love the technical problem solving and only doing it part time. Many times people love what they do but the long hours get them down with the daily grind. Doing the work on a part time basis without as much pressure is great.

Lee Koepke
02-13-2011, 9:06 PM
Here you go Lee . . .

http://thesga.org/2011/01/pillar-carpentry/

Remodel a house, learn something about woodworking, have the B & B.

Who knows? Maybe we'll end up at the same dig site in Georgia.Thats AWESOME! I bookmarked that site for future review. Learning about the past, be it 165 years or 165 million years ... intrigues me. I still remember seeing my first automatic door closer on a french entry door from late 1700s, early 1800s ... a sloped barrel on the hinge let the door close on its own (now we feel compelled to install $150 hydraulic kinds that constantly need fixing/replacing).

Whichever of us gets there first promises to bring the other one along !!! Deal ???

Belinda Barfield
02-14-2011, 6:50 AM
Thats AWESOME! I bookmarked that site for future review. Learning about the past, be it 165 years or 165 million years ... intrigues me. I still remember seeing my first automatic door closer on a french entry door from late 1700s, early 1800s ... a sloped barrel on the hinge let the door close on its own (now we feel compelled to install $150 hydraulic kinds that constantly need fixing/replacing).

Whichever of us gets there first promises to bring the other one along !!! Deal ???

You got a deal!!

Brian Ashton
02-14-2011, 12:03 PM

Do tell! I always like hearing the details of what makes people happy.

Brian Ashton
02-14-2011, 12:12 PM
My wife says if she wins the lottery I'm going back to uni to become a vet or zoologist.

Connie Gill
02-15-2011, 8:46 AM
I would have 20 acres that border the desert where I could ride/train 5 or 6 young cowhorses for a year, sell them and buy 5 or 6 more to ride for the next year. Maybe have a southern location to move us for the winter. Also my SO and I have laughed about becoming adventure outfitters, taking people into the backcountry areas that we love - offering a 2 or 3 day trip with meals on a high-desert camping trip. We just don't know though if everyone would love the high desert like we do.

Derek Gilmer
02-15-2011, 9:09 AM
Mine's not so easy.

I wanted to open a shop to make custom cabinets, custom furniture, and things out of wood. My dad told me that I could never make any money at that line of work and I needed to go into computers. I have always loved working with my hands and even building a house was awesome fun to me. I went into computers as my dad talked me into and I have not looked forward to going to work a single day of my IT Professional career. While I'm good at what I do, I've gotten good at it by necessity of survival in the IT trade.

I think if I had it to do over again? I'd build a small but nice house in the middle of 50 acres, setup shop and make furniture, do furniture repair, and also do upholstery.

Like I said......I like working with my hands. I can't stand computer programming, and working in IT (to me) is about as fulfilling as watching paint dry.

Thought about doing general contractor/building houses as a start? There are at least one or two guys here at Acx that do that on the side :)

My dream job would probably either be in woodworking or flying drones for the airforce.