PDA

View Full Version : MDF Users ?

Mike Cunningham
04-13-2003, 5:01 PM
I've got numerous cabinets and shelving units to build. I'm planning on using MDF and past experience has shown me that if proper care is not taken, it's prone to splitting when using screws.
My question, for those of you that utilyze MDF, do you use confirmat type screws? If so, do you use the confirmat style drill bit? If you're using confirmats, where do you buy them.....McFeeley's?
If you're not using confirmats, what are you using? I've considered biscuits, but they require clamping time and this project has time constraints.
Thanks in advance.

Steve Clardy
04-13-2003, 5:14 PM
Personally I do not and will not use MDF. But I have a friend that works at Noel Designs in KC that uses it. He does use the confirmat screws along with the required drill bits. Don't know where he gets them at, but Baer Supply has them. They have a website, but no purchasing there. It will list the outlets with phone #s there . Steve

Bobby Hatfield
04-13-2003, 5:53 PM
Mike I use lots of MDF for computer desk top underlayment and use screws to fasten other parts to flat side of MDF, if there is an MDF edge to be fastened to other material I use pocket holes in the edge of the MDF and pocket hole screws (Super 8's) from McFeelys. I never screw into the edge on MDF. On desk tops I thicken the edge with a strip of MDF about 3" wide with glue and brad nails to hold it till the glue cures. Brad nails (16GA in my gun) telegraph the points about 1/4" so use shorter nails that are about 5/16" shorter than the full thickness of your laminated parts. I contact cement laminate on the tops, saw to size, edge them with solid wood edges and only use glue and clamps until it cures, (Titebond dark mostly).

JayStPeter
04-13-2003, 8:53 PM
I have begun to use the drill/countersink for a #8, then drive in #6 screws. Keep the drill/driver on a pretty weak setting so as not to strip it out. I also ensure to keep the screws spaced at least 6" apart and I actually measure to get them centered. I use coarse #6 drywall screws. As mentioned, keep them 1.5" from the edge to keep from splitting.
The problems are that the edges of the countersink need to be sanded, and filling the countersinks is a bit of a hassle. The MDF quickly sucks the moisture out of any filler and causes it to shrink. Two applications of Bondo does the trick, but kind of messy.