PDA

View Full Version : Benchtop Router-Help making decison.

Mike Wellner
02-11-2011, 4:54 PM
I want to purchase a temporary benchtop router table which would be used until and sold when I have enough funds to purchase a woodpecker bakelite top with woodpecker router lift and build my own router cabinet.

A) Kreg 148070
Cons: No miter gauge provided

B) Benchdog 40-001
Cons: No miter gauge provided

C) Porter Cable
Miter gauge provided
Cons: Not as well reviewed as A and B

D) Router table extension on my Delta 34-444
Something with a 200.00 price tag, maybe Benchdog, but does Kreg make this too?

Van Huskey
02-11-2011, 5:41 PM
If you are looking for short term and economical why not build an extension for your table saw depedsing on how you build and equip it you are probably between $50 and $150.

Troy Ahner
02-11-2011, 7:31 PM
I'm using a piece of 3/4 plywood clampled to a pair of sawhorses. I drilled the pattern for my router base and bought (4) 1" screws to match my base. Used a 3/8 spade bit to counterbore for the pan heads and then the biggest spade I have for the center hole. The fence is a piece of stock and 2 more c-clamps. If you want temporary, this could be free from stuff you have laying around.

Mike Schuch
02-11-2011, 7:37 PM
I liked my porter cable that few times I used it before purchasing a shaper. I would bet it is something you could find a deal on used.

Brodie Brickey
02-11-2011, 8:09 PM
Peach Tree USA had a deal a while back and I got a router table wing. (Rock Solid Cast Iron Router Wing http://www.ptreeusa.com/routerTables.htm toward the bottom.) It was a great deal back then, now @ 229 its a little steep. For a fence I just use my Table Saw fence. When I get into panel bits and stuff I drop an expendable fence with a gap on it for chip collection.

Myk Rian
02-11-2011, 9:05 PM
Take two 3/4" pieces of MDF, glue them together, cut the hole with a ledge for the insert plate.
Afterward, build a cabinet for it. Why spend bunches of bucks when you can make a better one?

Rich Engelhardt
02-12-2011, 6:25 AM
Afterward, build a cabinet for it. Why spend bunches of bucks when you can make a better one?
That's pretty much what I did...kinda....sorta...
I got a good deal on a Rockler #1 table w/an aluminum plate that was pre drilled for my Freud 1700 - $99.00.
That was so close to what I would have paid in materials I had to buy it. The plate alone was $60.00.

Re: buy vs build.
Some people just don't enjoy building things for the shop. They'd rather build other things.
To each their own I guess.