PDA

View Full Version : How do I remove Delta contractor saw arbor bracket?

Paul Macias
02-11-2011, 4:52 PM
I just bought an old Delta contractor saw, model 34-444, type 3, for $200, and I really love it. But it does have some wear, naturally, so I've been "going through" it, careful not to get in over my head. Anyway, I've noticed that the bearing closure nut is completely loose within the arbor assembly; I can move it around with the tip of a screw driver. I'm afraid this loose closure nut is going to compromise the bearings, so I want to take the arbor assembly bracket off and have it looked at. A big pin (about 3 1/2 inches long, 1/2 inch diameter) holds the arbor bracket on (to the trunion?), and an allen "set screw" tightens down onto the pin. I've got the set screw out, but the pin is IN THERE. I'm not sure how to get this pin out, if it comes out at all. Seems to me, though, that it would have to because it seems to me that one would need to remove the arbor bracket to replace the arbor bearings.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts you have on this.

Joe Kieve
02-11-2011, 5:26 PM
Paul,
I have an older Delta/Rockwell contractor's saw, probably a little older than yours. I replaced the bearings and didn't have to remove the arbor bracket. If I recall I just removed the bearing closure nut and used a bearing puller to push the arbor out. I put the new bearings in the freezer for about an hour and then used my drill press to push the one closest to the saw blade on and the other end slid on with very little effort. I know this probably wasn't much help but here's a link that might help...http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=3348.
Good luck.
joe