PDA

View Full Version : Cut a couple bottle stoppers and

Dick Parr
01-16-2005, 9:28 PM
bowls blanks up today. Got some box elder on Friday and Bill came over today to help cut it up. We cut the pith :eek: out of the logs and I was able to get a few bottle stopper blanks out of the centers. :D Still have about 8 logs to finish cutting up so there will be more stoppers. I threw away the ones that didn't have any color in them. I put as many as I could in a 5 gal pail with alcohol to maybe speed up the drying process, tomorrow I will put the rest in. :)

I can't wait until the stoppers are dry and I can turn some, the color is fantastic. The bowls won't be to bad either. :D The biggest blank is 27 inch's by 24", so it should make a nice bowl.

Thanks for looking.

Harry Pye
01-16-2005, 11:35 PM
Dick, that is really "purty" wood. And with a bunch of logs left to cut, you may have too much. Just to remind you, all contributions to me will be gratefully accepted. Please keep us informed about how the alcohol drying works for you.

Harry

Sparky Paessler
01-17-2005, 8:33 AM
Those are great looking Dick. I'm sure you will turn out some beautiful stoppers out of those. Great find.

John Shuk
01-17-2005, 9:28 AM
Your killing me Dick. I drive past a big old Box Elder tree that doesn't look too healthy every day. Just waiting for it to fall.

Tyler Howell
01-17-2005, 10:48 AM
Great as always Dick, This is just like going to school.

joe smith
01-17-2005, 6:36 PM
you know what will make you sick. Is realizing that a year ago before you started turning. You helped your parents out by cutting down 4 , yes 4, old box elder trees because mom wanted to widen her driveway. We laughed at how I was covered in red like a red statue. But boy did I have a lot of great firewood:eek: . Not one piece left for turning not one red peice of blood red box elder. Please pardon me I think I'm going to be sick.