PDA

View Full Version : Most useful sanders (machines) in the shop?

Van Huskey
02-11-2011, 3:45 PM
Everyone works differently but what two sanders (machine not hand held) do you think are the most useful in general woodworking?

Matt Day
02-11-2011, 3:53 PM
This is going to really depend on what people have of course. I suppose I technically have 4 sanding machines - 5" ROS, 48" belt / 9" disc sander, a freebie GMC detail sander, and a portable belt sander. They rank in that order, with the ROS being by far the best and most used.

On my wish list are an oscillating spindle sander and a drum sander.

P.S. I'm surprised you didn't make a poll!

Van Huskey
02-11-2011, 3:55 PM
You slipped into the window between when the post goes up and the poll goes up. You don't do them at the same time so the poll takes a couple of extra minutes.

Callan Campbell
02-11-2011, 4:04 PM
This ties in beautifully with my often posted gripe that not enough magazines give time and reviews to sanders . ESP the dead common 6 x 48" combo machines. Wood Magazine last addressed them in 2004 , FWW looked at OSS's some time back. Just a comprehensive look at the main types and their common project/work usage would be helpful for someone looking to buy a different sander for their shop.

Jay Rasmussen
02-11-2011, 4:08 PM
My Grizzly oscillating spindle sander is great! Sanding any contours is a breeze. Saves a lot of time.

Matt Meiser
02-11-2011, 4:22 PM
I find that 4 machines meet my needs--a small OSS, an edge sander, and my friend's drum and wide belt sanders. I had a 6x48/12" belt/disc sander but sold it because there was nothing I did with it that I couldn't do with the edge sander once I got that. The OSS (a <$100 model from Menards) is invaluable when I sand a curve. And if I've got a bunch to flatten I'll load it up and take it to my friend's place and run it through his drum and wide belt sanders. I did that with all the kitchen doors, drawer fronts, and end panels when I did my parents' kitchen which saved a LOT of sanding with an ROS.

Jeff Duncan
02-11-2011, 4:35 PM
In my shop there's no question....widebelt wins hands down. Followed by the spindle sander as a distant second then the disc sander.

I also have a edgesander in need of a rebuild and a narrow belt (knife?) sander which is buried somewhere....so those don't really count for me.

Jeffd

Mike Cruz
02-11-2011, 6:45 PM
I chose disc and other. Other is a pneumatic drum. Edge sander takes a close third.

Cary Falk
02-11-2011, 8:20 PM
I love all of my sanders. I have an OSS, Edge sander, and Drum sander.I would suppose I use the drum sander the most followed by the edge sander.

bill kohnke
02-11-2011, 8:25 PM
i was looking at oss at Menards also ,what kind do you have?

Travis Porter
02-11-2011, 8:40 PM
Wide belt and edge sander. A wide belt is a sweet machine.

Brian Penning
02-11-2011, 9:13 PM
Ummm...which category is a Ridgid oscillating sander that has the belt on 99% of the time?

Van Huskey
02-11-2011, 9:23 PM
Ummm...which category is a Ridgid oscillating sander that has the belt on 99% of the time?

I would argue that would be edge sander...

Bruce Wrenn
02-11-2011, 9:45 PM
For me, it's the12" disk sander. I build hundreds of cars for Toys for Tots each year. They are band sawn from construction grade 2 X 4's. Then it's off to the disk sander. First, I hit the bottom. This gives me a reference for other sanding. Next I do both of the sides, and then the radius of the hood and body, rounding the edge where the radius meets the bottom. This means I don't have to use round over bit in the router to do this area, and produce a lot of tear out. Then after all other machining operations are done, I use ROS to clean up the area where the body and hood meet.